I looked up at Dion's face and he was already peacefully asleep. Careful not to wake him up I stood up and took the remote, turning off the TV. I looked back at the sight which was too good to leave and then thought again.

Am I really ready to be attached to someone, again?

Am I?

I have literally no idea.

I felt like I wanted a little break from everything even if I know that it'll hurt to stay away from Dion.

And just like that...I left him...again.

Maybe I'm overreacting, maybe I'm getting upset over nothing but that's what my heart tells me right now--to relax and spend some time for myself and think. Think if I'm ready to involve myself in some things I would regret or not later.

~~~

"And, of course, Adeline. You have the best essay in class."

I smiled and welcomed the jealous stares from my classmates.

French has always been my favorite.

Also, academic validation is a real thing. And I love it.

This past few days I've been busy with school since exams started. I didn't have time for my brain to be busy with something else to which I'm kinda thankful. I've done most of my exams great now I only got Chemistry and Psychology left.

I will slay.

Like I do every time.

When the bell rang I got a little too excited since I have a class with Sam. I hurriedly made my way to our classroom and sat down on my usual spot. After a few minutes I saw Sam walking in with his head hung low. My brows furrowed when I saw that he looks--different. Weirdly different.

He's been like this for the past month. His skin was paler, his eyes were sadder and he didn't have that spark like he had before.

"Hey, Sam." I greeted him since he looked like he didn't even acknowledge me.

"Hey." He muttered.

He was acting so weird. I get it, it's a lot of pressure to be in his place but- it looked like this whole fake-marriage thing wasn't his only problem.

"Are you okay, Sam? Answer me honestly please." I couldn't wait and whispered to him.

He only gulped and gave me a suspicious nod. Nope, he didn't convince me, a simple nod won't make me believe him.

"Come on Sam," I took his hand in mine. "You know that I'm your best friend and you can tell me anything."

He looked at our hands tied together and had a very weird, almost like a scared expression. I frowned and looked down too, to see if I'm maybe doing something wrong. But nothing was wrong, I was just holding his hand.

"Adeline." He tried pulling it away and when he did, something caught my eye. His sleeve rose up a little bit and a purple mark made me raise my brows. What is that?

I pulled his hand to mine this time harsher. He tried to object and pull it away but it was too late when I rolled up his sleeve and gasped.

His whole wrist was red, some parts even purple. It was bruised.

With terror in my eyes I looked up at him. The horror in our faces was matching, he looked scared too.

"Sam? What-" I couldn't even finish my sentence when he stood up and hurriedly made his way outside the classroom.

What the hell just happened?

Questions and question appeared in my mind and the worst scenarios made me panic. What's happening with Samuel? Why does he have those bruises? Something serious is going on, I'm sure. If there was something else, he could've lied or just told me the truth but this whole "running away" thing made me realize that something bad is going on.

And I must find out.

So I followed him. I ran to catch him as fast as I can.

Pushing through a bunch of people and running to catch him. When I finally saw him taking a turn to the left and going in the garden I walked even faster. Sam sat down on a bench and ran a hand through his hair. I stood there for a second to catch my breath and carefully made my way towards him.

"Sam, Sam please. I won't ask you anything, okay? Please calm down." I said while walking towards him.

Sam face-palmed and shook his head. "Adeline- I want to be alone, please." He looked irritated.

"Okay, fine, fine. I'll leave but- please keep in mind that I'm here for you. I have no idea why are you running away and- and why are those brui-"

"Adeline, please-"

I closed my eyes and sighed. "Alright, alright. I'll get going," I took a step back. "Please be safe."

I can't do nothing. I can't make him talk to me. Maybe one day he'll finally tell me what's up with him.

Hmm...

Your opinion on Adeline's "theory" of love and wanting some time alone? Is it valid enough to make her run away from Dion? Drop your thoughts ;)