Chapter 1

Chapter 1

Flower gleam and glow
let your powers shine
make the clock reverse
bring back what once was mine
what once was mine

As Lady Gothel finished singing the healing incantation that kept her young and beautiful for hundreds of years, that old familiar voice demanded her attention.

"Gothel!" it shouted at the old young woman.
"I'm coming, Zhan Tiri," Gothel reluctantly replied.

As Gothel trembled into her little cottage in the woods, her master, Zhan Tiri, made her presence known.

"There you are, Gothel. What took you so long? Is singing a short song too much trouble for you? Do you need more compensation than literal immortality?"

"I'm sorry, Zhan Tiri. What was it you called me in here for?"

"I have a new idea for how to protect the flower and eventually take our revenge on the Kingdom of Corona".

-

"You want me to do what?"

"I just told you, Gothel, I want you to have a child. Do you need me to explain it to you?"

"But I can't have a child! I'm over four hundred years old! Plus, I never wanted a child! They're too much work".

"Oh, please, you don't look a day over twenty-five, thanks to me. Plus, you do remember the hoops I have to jump through to talk to you through the dimensions, don't you? How much easier would it be if I had a human host and could live in your world?"

"So you want me to birth you a human host?"

"Not necessarily. I think, if anyone were to find you in this cottage, living alone as a young single woman with all these contraptions might look suspicious. If you had a kid with you, you could pass them off as toys".

"Okay, but why can't I just steal a kid from the orphanage?"

"Honestly, Gothel, really. Steal one from the orphanage? And what, have the whole kingdom after you? You know how much the king and queen care for the orphans, considering they've never been able to have a child of their own. No, you will have a child of your own, and I won't hear another word about it".

"But–"

"Not. another. word."

"Fine," Gothel finally gave in reluctantly. While she wasn't too keen on the thought of being pregnant and giving birth to a kid she'd have to look after for eighteen long years, she eventually grew excited to become a mother.

"I hope I have a girl who looks just like me! But not as pretty".

"I think I can make that happen," Zhan Tiri snickered as the two cackled over their new evil plan.

Cassandra was fast asleep in her sleeping chamber, completely ignorant to how late it was. While the twenty-three year old princess was usually up bright and early to tend to her royal duties, she never passed up an opportunity to sleep in. Today was a Saturday, and better yet, it was the queen's birthday. Cassandra's adoptive mother, Queen Arianna, wanted to do something special with Princess Rapunzel, Arianna's biological daughter and Cassandra's sister, so they had been gone since yesterday afternoon. King Frederic, Cassandra's adoptive father, was also gone for the day, so the oldest princess had the entire day and castle to herself. She wouldn't let it go to waste.