Blame It On The Alcohol

Start from the beginning

Adalynn saw her dress folded neatly and laying on a chair. She grabbed it and made her way over to the window, she opened it up and was about to jump out when-

"Addie, don't!" Quinn cried as she came into the room, fear shooting through her. She rushed over and pulled the younger girl away from the window. "That's a 30 foot foot drop. Are you insane?"

"Don't fucking touch me," Adalynn spat, shoving Quinn away at glaring up at her.

"I'm sorry, okay?"

"I bet you're sorry."

"I didn't mean what I said to you."

"I bet you didn't mean it."

"Ada-"

"I don't want to hear it," Adalynn said, pushing past Quinn to sit down on her bed. She sighed and ran a hand through her hair. "What happened last night?" she asked, looking up at the older girl. "The last thing I remembered was Rachel singing with Blaine Warbler- or whatever his name is."

"I don't know," Quinn said as she sat down on the bed next to the younger girl. "I just remember leaving Rachel's basement and finding you asleep on the couch."

"I didn't drink at all, did I?"

"No," the blonde shook her head.

"Then why does my head hurt so bad?" Adalynn asked, pressing a hand to her aching temple.

"It might have something to do with all the crying," Quinn mumbled, lowering her gaze.

"What crying?"

"After I carried you from my car up the stairs, you broke down crying," the blonde said. "You kept saying something about how much you hated 'her,' who I'm guessing is me. After you had calmed down I got you some water and gave you a change of clothes. That's all that happened."

Adalynn chewed the inside of her cheek as she looked away from Quinn and stared down at the floor. Why would she do all of this after what she said? She knows that people can sometimes say things that they don't mean when they're scared, but that wasn't an excuse for her to have said what she did.

"I really am sorry, Adalynn," Quinn said, brushing her hair out of her face.

"I know."

****

"How about some Bloody Mary's, y'all?" Artie asked as all the Glee Kids met up in the hallway.

"Are you kidding me?" Mercedes asked. "The last thing I wanna do is drink."

"It'll help your hangover," said Artie. "That's what Bloody Mary's are for. Hair of the dog that done bit yo' ass."

****

"I'm so nervous," Brittany said as everyone got ready for the Alcohol Awareness assembly. "Ke$ha's been a cultural icon for weeks and I really want to do her music justice."

"We haven't had enough rehearsal," said Sam.

"Or any at all," Mercedes added.

"Most of our assembly performances end in a riot," Bailey mumbled as she fixed her hair.

"Never fear, teammates," Rachel said as she walked up to everyone with red solo cups and a big juice bottle filled with purplish-blue liquid. "It's a Broadway tradition for nervous performers to take a shot of whiskey before going on to calm their nerves and to mask the stench of bad dental hygiene. In that tradition, I have mixed us a playful showbiz cocktail of what was left of my dads' liquor cabinet. There's some brandy, vermouth, port wine, and scotch in here. And also a bit of Kool-Aid and some crumbled up oreos."

"Oh my god, this tastes like cough syrup," Santana gagged, her brows furrowed.

"There's also cough syrup."

Julian and Adalynn exchanged a look before raising the cup to their lips and quickly drinking it, shuddering at the awful taste. Bailey took a sip from her water before getting into her place for the number.

"And now," said Principal Figgins. "Performing the hit single 'Tik' and also 'Tok' by rapper Key-dollar-sign-ha, the New Directions."

****

The bell rang and everyone filed into the choir room. Adalynn sat down in the back row next to Bailey and Julian.

"I'm torn," said Brittany. "Part of me never wants to drink again because it made me so sick, but if not for drinking the assembly would have been a disaster."

"I am never drinking again," said Rachel. "Being thrown up on, it just does something to a person."

"Alright," Mr. Schue said as he came into the choir room. "While I'm happy things worked out with the assembly, I never want to see you guys pull anything like that again. Drinking while performing is unprofessional. Drinking while at school is stupid, and most importantly, any of you drinking at all is illegal."

"There's a fair amount of the pot calling the kettle black right now," Quinn mumbled.

"That is so racist," Brittany whispered to Mercedes.

"I couldn't agree more, which is why I'm gonna stop drinking," said Mr. Schue. "Not even a beer at the end of the night to take the edge off."

"But if you don't drink, what will you have to live for?" Santana asked.

"I have had plenty of my life without beer."

"Like what exactly?" Mercedes asked.

"The point is, I'm gonna stop," said Mr. Schue. "I hope you do too."

"Isn't that kind of unrealistic?" Tina asked.

"Yeah. Honestly, I think it is. Which is why I'm only gonna ask you to do it until after nationals. Consider yourselves like prize fighters, getting ready for a big heavyweight bout." He began to pass out papers. "Now, these are pledge forms, and I want you guys to sign them."

Adalynn signed the paper without hesitation. She had only gotten drunk one other time, and it made her feel awful.

"What if we fall off the wagon again?" Puck asked.

"Look at the top corner of your form," said Mr. Schue. "That's my cellphone number."

"Yes," Sam gasped, getting a chuckle out of a couple Glee Clubbers.

"Part of your pledge is that if you do slip up, no matter where you are or what time of the night it is, I want you to call me to drive you home."

"I'm not calling you, creep," Adalynn grumbled.

"We got lucky that the only consequences of you drinking was some ill-timed vomiting," the teacher continued, ignoring Adalynn. "None of us wants to see any of you get hurt."

"Cool beans, Mr. Schue, I'll sign," said Santana.

"Me too," said Rachel. "Alcohol has done nothing for my songwriting."

"What about after we win nationals?" Finn asked.

"I'm buying the sparkling cider," Mr. Schue said and everyone laughed.