Idiots Of All Shapes And Sizes

Start from the beginning

The room stills. They've been dodging the topic of Present Mic's death for three weeks. Without him, the school was duller. His loud, eccentric energy wasn't around to hold up the fort, and everyone was feeling the effects. Nobody wanted to talk about it; nobody wanted to break the news to the poor little girl who had already felt so much pain.

I clear my throat and change the topic. "You were going to have a pop quiz today," I say, eyeing the students with furrowed brows, "but I don't feel like passing out the papers."

"No problem, sensei!" Iida exclaims. "I can pass them out for you!"

Asui smacks his arm, glaring. "Hush, Iida. Nobody wants a pop quiz."

Sero shrugs. "I could use a pop quiz. I need to raise my grades."

"You'd fail it, Tape-Arms," Bakugou scoffs. "It wouldn't help you at all."

Eri beams, leaving my side to sit beside Bakugou. She drags Uraraka's empty chair over beside his desk, looking at the student as if he were a god. Eri's admiration for Bakugou had always caught me off-guard, but I suppose he's not the worst role model. He's gotten... nicer, I think. And if not, Midoriya makes sure to keep him in check.

But I'm a bit shocked by Uraraka's empty seat. She isn't the type to be late to class. I glance at Midoriya, and he answers my silent question with a shrug.

"During class today, you'll have a silent work period," I say, making things up off the top of my head. "You'll have midterm exams coming up, so I expect each of you to be studying diligently."

"Can we listen to music?" Sero asks, already popping his airpods into his ears.

I sigh and nod, and the entire class is pulling out their phones. I know more than half of them are using Bakugou's hardcore playlist, though Bakugou himself is using Mina's. I can hear Destiny's Child coming from his desk specifically. Eri takes to drawing a picture in Bakugou's notebook, and Hitoshi sits beside Kaminari, helping him focus on his work.

With the chaotic group relatively placated, I reluctantly text the teacher's group chat. Technically there's two of them: one with Nezu, and one without Nezu. Begrudgingly, I text the one without Nezu, the one that Nemuri set up at the beginning of last year, because I don't want my boss to know I lost a student.

But of course, that air-headed woman, Nemuri, is yet to change anyone's names back to something normal in both the normal and Nezu-less group chat, so everytime I open either one, I'm smacked in the face by embarrassing high school-like usernames. I grit my teeth and send a message.

BaggedCat: Uraraka's absent. Any ideas on where she is?

KingCement: that's unlike her

BaggedCat: Obviously. Why else would I announce it?

WitchMommy: cuz u love us and want an excuse to talk <3

WitchMommy: Duh🤪

TwinkMight: how have you been, Eraser? With Present Mic's death, I mean. I bet it was a pretty traumatic experience.

HowdyGunner: damn u just gon drop the ball like that?

HowdyGunner: pick it up man

TwinkMight: ???

TwinkMight: I just want to ensure that this incident doesn't cause our colleague to turn to villainy. It's better for him to communicate with us rather than search for alternate coping mechanisms that could possibly be dangerous.

LoadingPower: keep talkin ur bullshit and I'll kill you myself

LoadingPower: leave the man alone