Chapter 2: Day in and Day out

The moon was bright in the sky despite it not being a full moon, there was no cloud in sight. Deep within the surrounding forest around Nimbasa City lay a child around 8 years old with eyes looking up at the sky, they blinked a few times before getting up, they winced a little, their whole body ached and was full of small scars and bruises. Slowly they stood up patting herself down, the little girl wore a gray hoodie that was a lot bigger for them, it looked like a dress on them, underneath a tattered white shirt and black shorts that at least fit, less tattered than the shirt, and black doll shoes. The girl walked for an hour or two, looking around unsure of their surroundings, confused, scared, and hungry as they slowly traversed the forest grounds. The little girl pondered, questions raised in her head, ' what happened? Where is this place? How did I get here?' They paused in her tracks 'who am I?' realization hit, gaze fixated on the ground as they started to lean back against a fairly large tree and slowly crouched down, arms wrapped around their knees they cradled themselves. 'I'm tired-' they thought as they close their eyes, a small breeze brushed their face, it sent a small shiver down their spine as they drifted to sleep.

It was warm and bright, the sun was shining, the tweeting of Pidgeys could be heard, hazy images of flower patches were right before them as they walked along a grassy path, it felt familiar, hazy images of people passed by. They kept walking until they saw a hazy image of what looked like some sort of fox, it was slate gray and red, it stared at her as they slowly approached, they reached their hand out as they did the scenery shifted, feeling a chill down their spine as they looked around, the grassy forest turned into tall buildings. Looking back at the blurry image of the fox-like creature they saw it ran away, something told them to chase after it and so their feet began to move towards where the they saw the creature, they kept running the surroundings shifted over and over as the child kept their pace, muffled voices echoed throughout, it got louder and louder as if shattering the dream itself, the ground was cracking with each step as the surroundings was shattering like a mirror, places familiar yet unfamiliar appeared in each shattered piece. Tears streamed down their cheeks as they kept running, the hazy image of the fox-like creature was ahead of them as if waiting for her like the light at the end of a tunnel, a few words were perceived from the amalgamation of voices "Run." "Quick, you have to leave!" "don't stop 'till you get out of here!" The girl reached out for the warmth that was exuding from the light. The fox-like creature leapt towards them; they embraced the hazy figure as light enveloped the child, shutting their eyes. The fear washed away, sweet familiar yet unfamiliar voices comforted them, calling out a name "[Y/N]" over and over they heard laughter, the sound of people having fun, sweet and encouraging words, and that name once more "[Y/N]" 'who was this person' she thought as the name Y/N was repeated over and over like different people was calling for them. Sunrays shone down upon the little child, waking from the dream she looked up at the sky, the sun was shining, the bird-like Pokémon chirping, flowers blooming, it was a beautiful day.

The chime of whistles and the voices of the Twins filled the halls of the Gear Station as the day pressed on. Passengers coming and going as the twins recited their safety protocols, Ingo being more audible than his brother but not enough to drown him out.

"Thank you for riding the Battle Subway today! I hope our safety protocol meets your standards." The twin clad in black exclaimed as his next train to conduct was the single train.

"Follow the schedule. Everybody smile!" The twin clad in white motioned the passengers with a bright smile on his face as he was ready to board the multi battle train.

With their busy schedules that they followed effortlessly, on going passengers, trainers, fans, and staff watched in awe as the twins conducted the day to their very best. Looks of admiration was something the twins were used to at this point, fans would stop by and ask for photos or autographs, but that did give them a headache from time to time, it slows them down during work hours. Emmet would be the most irritated with the constant fans that would stop them, although he wouldn't show it. It would stop his train of thoughts, derail him from his duties, he did not like those who ask too much, or be clingy especially if their fans were accosted and he would be most irritated and crossed with those who did all of those to his brother. They both would handle situations like this in a more calm and polite manner, the brothers would try and avoid interactions like this at all cost during their schedules, for other interactions some regulars have gotten used to their presence and wouldn't spare much time but a glace, some would stop and greet the twins, in return the twins would say a genuine response back. And they had those who watched from afar, either scared or shy to actually come up or was in a rush or bussie with something else, Emmet would pay no mind but would be keeping an eye out as his brother can be a little oblivious to his surroundings.

The day passed on with little to no abruptions thankfully, Ingo handled the station as he awaited his brother to return from his scheduled train on the battle subway, 'Emmet must been in a heated battle to be late' He thought arms crossed behind his back as he surveys the area before moving along to the employees only area. The eldest twin made his way to his office, ready to take on the piles of paperwork as he waited for his next scheduled train to conduct before getting stopped by someone calling for him.

"Hey boss!" a staff member approached him, his conductor's hat a little tilted showing strands of his blond pink hair as he carried some boxes "sorry to disturb you on your break, I just wanted to ask where this new equipment should go."

"Not to worry Chase, are those for the new security measurements to be implemented?"

"Yes, we just received the final shipment today, we can start implementing them soon."

"Excellent news! Bring those to the central control room, I believe John should be there with the other equipment" Ingo stated as he pointed with his hand to his own hat.

"Hmm? Oh–" Chase chuckled. "Thanks boss, didn't know my hat was a bit messed up." The man carefully balanced himself to hold the box with one hand, he started to fix his hat with the other, "I'll get going now, have a good break sir Ingo!" He said as he started to walk to the central control room. Ingo nodded as he watched Chase walk away for a bit before walking back to his destination, as he reached his office door he was stopped once again as he grabbed the handle.

"E-excuse me Sir Ingo." Ingo turned and saw the new assistant, Mira, holding on to papers and documents. "Um- I'm here to deliver these documents to you." She stuttered out as she held the papers up to him.

"Oh, why thank you Mira, I shall get to those as soon as possible." He said as he accepted the documents from the meek assistant.

"Take your time sir, it is your break after all." she said as she clasped her hands behind her back after handing over the papers.

"Time is of the essence, I can take my break when the day is done." Ingo replied, the assistant looked like she was about to say something but stopped herself, and on cue she was called but the other staff. She excused herself and left the tall elder twin, Ingo opened the door to his and his brothers office, entered, and closed the door as he walked to his desk to work on the documents.

Emmet arrived a little later than usual, as he stepped off the train his demeanor was full of pride and confidence, the younger twin had just won against a strong opponent, his smile bright and prideful as he walked off. The Trainer that battled against him was not in high spirits as Emmet but they weren't down in the dumps either, they had the stride of determination as they walked off, before losing Emmet from his sights he shouted out.

"Next time, I'll be able to defeat you Mister Emmet!" They stood confident and determined, Emmet turned with his smile clear as day.

"I am Emmet. I am sure you will show up here again. I will wait for it and win against you again. Because I am a Subway Boss. I am Emmet." He replied as he watched the trainer smile and waved goodbye, turned around and walked away to exit the Station. "Another victory. I'm on a roll today." he said as he briskly walked to his office just to stay on track of their schedule.