"Lykiri," she murmurs to the dragon, though it's more to soothe herself than her dragon. The great beast was still not fitted with a saddle, which Jalyssa was glad for. She would have to put Jacaerys behind her so her brother wouldn't fall down. Vermithor gives the Velaryon twins his side so they could climb onto him.

As soon as they are settled, with Jacaerys gripping Jalyssa tightly, Vermithor lets out a huge roar and takes off with no prompt from his rider.

Both Velaryon twins whoop with joy, their dragon blood singing with glory at taking the skies. Jalyssa lets her bond with Vermithor fill with pride, which causes the dragon to let out another roar.

As they circle around Dragonstone, the sound of another dragons wings catches both Jacaerys and Jalyssa's attention. The twins turn their heads towards the sound and are both equally shocked at what they see.

"Silverwing," the both breathed in awe. Late Queen Alyssane's dragon was catching up to them, tittering in dragon speak at Vermithor who responded in kind. Jalyssa laughed in glee as her bond with Vermithor was filled with warmth.

"Let us go back, boy," she murmured to her dragon in Valyrian, patting his scales. Vermithor roared in agreement and took a swift dive, causing Jacaerys and Jalyssa to let out twin shrieks of joy.

-

"You two stink of dragon," is what Jacaerys and Jalyssa are greeted with when they entered the castle. Both twins had been in better spirits after taking the skies, the stress in their shoulders depleting considerably.

"We did just ride Vermithor, Uncle," Jalyssa tells her uncle, raising a brow at the man. Daemon lets out a chuckle then motions towards Jacaerys.

"May I speak to your sister alone?"

Jacaerys looks hesitantly between them both, only relenting when Jalyssa gives him a small smile. He hugs her quickly, nods at Daemon and quickly advances deeper into the keep, more than likely to look for a servant to draw him a bath.

Once Jacaerys was out of hearing distance, Daemon turned to Jalyssa. "Walk with me."

"May I inquire what demands such secrecy from even my own twin, stepfather?" Jalyssa asks as she follows Daemon. She doesn't know where the Rogue Prince is taking her but she doesn't worry. She is her mother's daughter after all.

"Was that Silverwing who was flying next to Vermithor?"

"Yes," Jalyssa says. "Surely it isn't too surprising. Vermithor and Silverwing are mates, after all."

"Mm."

"Get on with it, stepfather. We mustn't waste time, mother needs our help. There has been word that Lord Cregan and his envoy will arrive mid-day tomorrow."

Daemon stopped his walking and turned towards his step-daughter. "What is the true nature of your relationship with the King of the North?"

"Are you questioning my virtue, uncle?"

"You mustn't put such words in my mouth, Princess. Mere curiosity of mine."

Jalyssa sighs. "Lord Cregan and I grew up together. As children, we didn't have much interest in anything that had to do with duty and such. When I was four and ten, late Lord Rickon jested that Lord Cregan and I should be betrothed, seeing as we cared for each other deeply anyways. I didn't pay it much attention then, but after I came of age I began pondering it. He isn't bad to look at, and the union of our houses would bring us both much benefits. I spoke to him about it before coming back here, and he said he would only give an answer to mother."

"He left you questioning."

"Not really." Jalyssa then moves her leather shirt slightly, showing a seethed dagger. "He gifted me this before my departure."

"A courting gift," Daemon murmured. "And what of Jacaerys?"

"What of him?" Jalyssa asks confusedly.

"Don't act daft, stepdaughter. Surely you know how he looks at you?"

"I was hoping to pretend differently. He must know of duty, Uncle. I have heard from mother and father that they wish to betroth him to Baela. It is a match that will surely fortify his claim as heir once mother ascends the throne. I must do my duty, and he his."

——
i couldn't help myself and update so soon after the last chapter... anyways. jalyssa and cregan! yay!

also, ik the warnings said *slight* sibling incest but like... now jalyssaxjacaerys is gonna be a whole plot, forgive me. my ao3 readers already knew this. so if targaryen twin incest isnt your thing, i understand<3 feel feel to click off this fic.