Chapter 23 - Square One

Start from the beginning

"You're Edward, aren't you?"

The Authority officer blinked, not saying anything. He, for the first time, had been caught off guard. He no longer looked amused at the conversation, which Colt appreciated.

Officer Edward leaned in accusingly. "How do you know that, pirate?"

"The letter," Colt said, motioning toward the end of the envelope poking out of his pocket. "The fisherman, who I just recently learned is your father, asked me to give that to you."

The officer scoffed. "Of course. Why wouldn't my father still be associating with pirates? I intend to burn this letter, so don't think you'll gain any form of sympathy from me."

Colt was growing impatient, but he suppressed the feeling. "It's not sympathizers I'm looking for," he said. "I'm looking for listeners, that's all."

"I'm not here to listen to you," replied the officer simply. "I'm here to feed you, so that you don't die prematurely. So take your food, eat it, and wait. That's all there is to do here. Try all you like, you won't find sympathizers, listeners, or any friend at all down here."

Colt sighed. He could tell he'd reached a brick wall as far as this officer was concerned. Unlike his father, Edward did not seem too overly willing to help out a pirate. That was unfortunate, considering he'd been through quite a lot to deliver a letter to this guy. And he wasn't even going to open the letter, at that. It made him feel bad for the fisherman. But not as bad as he currently felt for himself and his own situation.

"Alright, that's it," Colt said, pointing a finger at the officer. "I want to speak to your manager. I mean it. Get the Lieutenant down here."

Edward just scoffed. "Lieutenant Cotton doesn't have time for you right now. Or at any time, for that matter."

Why was it so hard to get in the presence of the Lieutenant? He had to trek through a forest and up a mountain to see the man, who hadn't even listened to him. Now he was having the exact same problem as before.

"Shelly, then," Colt said, trying to compromise. "Can I speak to Shelly?"

"No can do," Edward said, not even having to think about it. "Lieutenant Cotton would have me on the streets if I let you speak to his sister. Not that I'd do it anyway, of course."

"Of course," Colt agreed sarcastically. This guy was obviously good for nothing. "Well thanks for the food, Eddy. I'll enjoy it."

The officer smirked. "No you won't," he said. "I can promise you that."

Edward was about to move on through the cells, but he turned back to Colt once more. "And by the way, it's Officer Hayworth."

Colt straightened his back and stiffened his arms. He lifted a flat hand up to his forehead in a mock formal salute to the officer. Edward just shook his head and walked off.

That didn't work out too well, Colt thought as he went back to the wall of the cell to sit down.

He'd really thought he had a slight chance when he'd seen the fisherman's son was the one to check on him. It had seemed like the perfect time for a nice prison breakout. That wasn't what Edward had in mind, however, which was unfortunate.

Colt traced his finger across the ground in boredom. He glanced up at the food tray that was still sitting there where the officer had left it. He didn't make any move to get up and retrieve it. He wasn't hungry at all, and the food didn't look particularly appetizing anyway.

There was nothing left for him to do. He'd tried to get some freedom from his old pirate ship and had ended up in an Authority holding cell. He'd tried his best to avoid this situation, and had even tried to talk his way out with one of the officers. He'd reached a brick wall every time, no matter what he did. Maybe it was time to just accept things. It wasn't like there was much he could do even if he wanted to.