part four - wanted! dead or alive

it wasn't expected that you'd be in the forest for weeks, dragging along the golden burden. the three of you would walk for hours daily, settling to camp in a different location and always on the move within the security of sherwood. timothée sticks with you and little john, eventually starting to join you for the occasional hunt. little john stuck to being domestic—as he usually tends to do—and prefers scavenging to hunting. together, the three of you venture all over sherwood, showing timothée the wonders of the forest that he's missed: crystal clear streams; trees that part slightly to reveal mountainous views; fields of tall grass and flowers; dark caves that echo. eventually, timothée begins to walk ahead of the group—when he doesn't have a turn of carrying a sack. he is utterly entranced.

you decide to settle a few paces from a shallow stream. little john stays to set up the camp, dismissing you and timothée to hunt. these hunts together allowed the two of you to grow closer [little john is convinced that 'timothée practices his flirting when you're asleep.'] while your attire stayed the same, timothée discarded his suit jacket a week ago, only wearing it during cold night. his tie ended up scrunched in a ball inside of your pouch. he is now only in a black waistcoat, light grey long sleeve undershirt, and black dress pants. his hair is untamed and remains in a state of wild curls no matter how much he runs his fingers through the brown meadow. since you didn't think to bring extra clothes—especially clothes for an extra person—you individually wash your clothes in streams. little john tore a hole in his thin long sleeve and timothée's shirt is starred with small holes from thorny bushes. you stopped wearing your hood around timothée when you're not hunting.

you and timothée step through the forest together, ensuring to keep track of your path to make it back to little john. while he insists on joining you to hunt, timothée never really hunts, preferring to walk with you and watch you hunt. with your hood and bandana up, you banter with each other while searching for the familiar movement of potential prey. "look, remember that stream?" you suddenly point to a small river.

timothée squints, trying to remember. he hums, and then his eyes widen. "yeah! we were here about a week ago. we're really just walking in circles, aren't we?" he looks to you and smiles. much to your chagrin, his smile makes your heart leap. your bandana blocks any involuntary reaction that could be revealed, but you are annoyed that you've grown attached to the boy. "robin," timothée stops, pointing to some brush near the stream. "look."

you follow his gesture to see a flock of geese near the water. you halt all movements, guiding timothée down to crouch on the ground. you nock an arrow carefully, aiming for the largest bird. you can hear timothée breathe next to you as you release the arrow, killing the goose instantly. the other birds frighten, flying away.

timothée's arms shoot into the air in victory as you both stand to your full height. he cheers, "cupid, you never cease to amaze me. your aim is flawless."

"don't jinx it, timmy." you leave him and wade through the shallow water and retrieve the dinner, pulling the arrow from the body and shaking it in the water.

"but how do you always hit your target?" he asks as you return to his side and start your trek back.

"can't afford to miss," you shrug, smiling at him from underneath your mask.

his ever-present smile grows. "you've got pretty eyes, cupid," he compliments in a quiet tone, looking to the ground after speaking. you can feel your face redden and you don't dare to remove your bandana.

the goose gently swings with every step you walk alongside timothée. you can't help but notice him occasionally looking at the bird. "i forget that you're a noble sometimes. different from leaning on staff in your rich home, aye?" you nudge him with your shoulder.