Chapter 52 - Long Time No See

Start from the beginning

Over the next two days, Kakucho and I acted like what happened on my birthday never happened, which I was okay with. This allowed me to keep unwanted feelings from showing their ugly heads. "Man, I really need something to preoccupy my time and mind" I said to myself as I walked into the kitchen to get something to drink. "Spending too much time here with Kakucho has my mind running track and field." I grabbed a bottle of water. "Can't get a job because they'll think I'll run off or something." I opened the water and took a drink from it. "Maybe I'll see if Kakucho would take me on his next job."

Just as I was about to walk into the living room and get comfortable on the couch with my bottle of water, Kakucho walked into the apartment. "Mikey wants to see you, (Y/n)."

"I know I said I needed something to preoccupy my time and mind, but I didn't mean this" I thought as I reluctantly got off the couch. "Okay. Let me get my bag I keep my phone in." I left the living room and came back a few seconds later. "I'm ready now." I looked down at the outfit I was wearing which was just a pair of leggings and the shirt I got from Hot Topic. "I think this is a decent look just in case I meet my demise today" I thought as I walked over to the door. I let out a sigh as Kakucho opened the door and I walked out. "Do you think today is the day?" I asked Kakucho as I watched him lock his apartment.

"For what?"

"You know what I'm talking about."

The two of us walked down the hall and entered the elevator. "I don't have the answer for that, (Y/n)."

"Are you sure? Or is it because you know the answer and you won't tell me?"

"I honestly don't know. All I know is that Mikey wanted to see you, that's all." We walked out of the elevator.

"Fine. I guess I'll just have to wait till we get there to find out."

Kakucho and I got into his car and he drove towards Bonten's headquarters. As he was driving, I was typing something on my phone. "I didn't really think I would be writing a will so soon" I said to myself as I deleted a couple of sentences. "I don't have any kids to give my so called inheritance to, so I'll come back to that part." I started thinking what else I needed to write. "Maybe Sumiko might pour one out for me at my funereal."

Of course Kakucho couldn't help but overhear me. Well it's not like I was trying to keep my thoughts to myself. "It is strange for him to suddenly want to see her again" he thought as he looked over at me when he came to a red light. "It might have something to do with the hair store incident" he continued to think as he looked back at the light and it was green. "Then again, it could be anything."

We eventually made it to our destination. "Still shady as always" I commented as I got out of Kakucho's car. "Wait, maybe I'll get to see Yumi one more time before it's too late" I thought to myself as I entered the building. "There's more guards here then last time" I pointed out as we made our way to the elevator. "Did something happen?"

"Not really." Kakucho got ready to push the button to open up the elevator.

"Ms. (Y/n)?" a voice questioned as I turned to see where it came from.

"Yumi?" The girl walked over to me.

"Good to see you again, Ms. (Y/n)...I mean (Y/n)." She bowed. "How have you been?"

"Eh." I shrugged my shoulders. "What about you?"

"I've been okay." The look on her face told me otherwise.

"Yumi." I put my hand on her shoulder. "If there's something bothering you, I want you to know I'm here for you."

"Thanks, (Y/n), it's just that" she got ready to say as the elevator opened up, revealing Ran.