Chapter 23 | L's data

Start from the beginning

"Woah, that's weird..." Near muttered.

He highlighted a block of code with the mouse and took another look at it.

"This doesn't line up with the date of all the other code. Like it was placed in there at a later date. It's a memory, maybe something of B's that was saved onto L?"

You didn't know how all this high tech stuff worked, so when Near opened up a new program and dropped the code into it, you were baffled when a video file showed up. He clicked it, opening it up into a new window.

"This must have been recorded on B, then backed up to L" Near commented.

He pressed play, and you watched through the eyes of B looking up at L.

L wore all white, a frilly top and loose pants, with a lolita style headband holding the hair from his eyes. He seemed to be in the same area where the pictures of B were taken, with chords surrounding him and computer screens behind him.

"Are you sure B? What if this causes us to loose some data?" L asked.

"It's all we can do. I'm going to be shut down for good, the only way part of me can survive is if we back it up onto you" B replied.

B had a slight different voice to L, a deeper and more monotone sounding one.

"There must be some way dad can fix you?" L said.

"There's none. Our AI makes us human and you can't fix a human that was born different. If it were any other problem we could learn to live with it... but I'm too dangerous" B replied.

B reached out a hand, L took it and gave it a worried squeeze.

"I'm sorry Lawliet... I don't know why my AI went down this path. Just... don't make my mistake ok? Take some of my data and keep living, a small part of me can be alive in you. The good parts, not that dangerous ones" B said.

L gave him a saddled look, but nodded in agreement and pulled the chord from his ear ports to plug into B and collect some of his data.

"And L..." B added.

"Hm?"

"Love someone. That's what we were built for, make someone happy. Do what couldn't"

"I will... I'll find the one just for me" L agreed.

With that, L plugged his chord into B and the video cut off as B went into scan mode.

You weren't sure what to make of it, it was proof that L and B were together in the same place before whatever happened, happened. And that location was the same one as in the pictures. Something happened that caused B to be permanently shut down, and to L it was like losing a brother. Of course now, he didn't remember it after having been reset. But the data taken off B was still there, stored in L's hard drive.

"What happened...? It seemed like everything was going so well for L and B up until that point" you pondered.

"It sounds like B's AI malfunctioned and caused a dangerous situation. So it was safer for him to be shut down" Near explained.

"L... doesn't remember that" L muttered.

"Your side of the memory must have been wiped when you were reset. But B's memory is still backed up on you somewhere deep in your files. You'd not remember them because it's not your memory, you're just storing it"

It seemed the files that B backed up onto L, L himself couldn't access unless they were ripped from his system like you'd just done. But the existence of them in him meant B could still talk to him, although very weakly.

"Here... there's also a picture file" Near added, opening it up.

Dated at four years ago, and having come off B's hard drive, the photo showed the two almost identical persacom sitting together. They wrote opposite matching outfits. Same style, but B's in black and L's in white. They sat in front of a draped background as if it was a set intentionally for a photoshoot.

"Can you get data on where the picture was taken?" You asked.

"I'll try, hang on" Near replied.

He put the picture into another program and ripped the data from it.

"It was taken four years ago on a canon camera at... hang on. Isn't that the address of your apartment complex?"

You took a closer look, and sure enough... it was the address you lived at. Not your exact apartment, but the address of the building.

"What the... there's no room like that- unless someone make a makeshift photo set four years ago. If it's at the apartment then... Watari MUST know about it" you said.

"Mr Watari must know me and B before I was reset... which means he might have known who made me..." L pondered.

That settles it, Watari knew. You had to talk to him.