Nanami placed his hand upon his eyes and began rubbing his eyelids before opening his mouth. "The meeting with Higher Ups went poorly." His voice sounded more hoarse than a couple of minutes ago. It couldn't be said that the smoke was squeezing his throat or a smothering lump. Of course, he reproached himself for playing a role in the chain of anguish that had overcome them. Maybe if he hadn't hugged Y/N in the bathroom on that wedding day, Satoru would never have left, and she would still be a mother now. But since no one could hear the voices resonating in his brain, no one told him not to torture himself. Nobody said to him that it was okay, because he just wanted to help his friend. His best friend after Yu Haibara.

It was then that Nanami promised himself that if Y/N ended up like his old friend, he would never forgive himself and abandon sorcery forever.

Shoko took another drag from her cigarette. Predicting events was more evident than daylight, but she still asked, "what happened there?" Her gaze was fixed on the little drops of water piled up on the large leaves of the trees. "They condemn her for missing 3 of the cursed wombs and 6 of Sukuna's fingers." Shaking his head with disbelief, Nanami let out a breath of anger and patted his cigarette for the ashes to fall. The absurdity behind this vote had been the source of an eternal headache that stuck like a parasite.

Shoko quickly turned her head towards him with raised brows. She opened and closed her mouth several times but couldn't come up with an appropriate word to express her shock.

"Can you question their decision? I mean, the cursed wombs are counted as Y/N's siblings."

"But she had no idea they were here, did she?" Nanami saw her hand clenching into a fist. "Their cursed energy was sealed! Even assuming she knew about them, she was no fool to steal them at the day school was full of sorcerers." Her knitted eyebrows stayed untied. She always tried to be moderate, but recently, Higher Ups had taken many unforgivable measures. " She lost her child to protect the students," she said in a whisper while lowering her head. Her fist slowly opened and released her fingers. Like everyone in the story, she had her own reasons to blame herself. If she'd let Y/N flee without convincing her to stay at school, the baby would still be safe, and she would be awake, not in a fucking coma. It pricked her heart that Y/N had selfishly chosen to carry the burden of all the wrong decisions of others by herself and pay the atonement alone.

"Why didn't you tell us she was pregnant?" Nanami's tone was calm. He was clearly only looking for answers, not the culprit.

"She wanted no one to know, including the father." Shoko smacked her forehead. Now that she looked back, she better understood her mistakes. She should never have kept the truth from Satoru. What was she thinking? She took another drag, then another, and another. After some quiet time, she started speaking again.

"Those mother fuckers know about her miscarriage?" She flipped her head and looked at Nanami.

"Satoru's father is one of the higher-ups; what do you think?" He crossed his arms across his chest and, with his head bent, he stared at her.

"I thought that asshole would be a little more cautious after the troubles he's caused." She blew out a frustrated breath.

"If he could, he would gladly kiss the hand of the curse that brought this calamity to Y/N! His eyes were as happy as I've ever seen!" He chuckled angrily and tossed his cigarette into the trash can.

"In his son's presence?!!!"

"He's not aware of his clan's actions right now. When these matters were discussed, he was beating the shit out of the curse users that had been arrested for getting them confession and proving Y/N's innocence."

Shoko clasped her lips together. Her throat slowly rolled with her swallow, but she still said nothing. She just looked torn as her face took on what looked like a world of pain. "Did Satoru succeed?" She locked her eyes with Nanami again with the hope of good news.