Prologue

||

"Promise me you'll be safe." Pepper Potts' voice traced through Tony's phone, her signal from the jet perfect.

"A few times I nearly die and now I can't go places without you being worried. It's ridiculous." Tony pinned his cell to his ear, climbing out of his rental car. His sunglasses shielded out the dawn of London, "I'll call you after the meeting. I love you."

Pepper' smile traveled through the call, "I love you, too, Tony."

He smiled, hanging up his phone and slipping it inside his suit pocket. He gripped a leather briefcase, entering the towering glass hospital in front of him.

"Mr. Stark!" A stout man with red hair quickly greeted Tony, walking over from the front desk of Baylor Memorial. "We're so glad you could join us today. Was your flight over to the UK desirable?"

"It was very nice, yes." Tony shook the man's hand when he held it out. "I'm glad to be here."

"Do come with me." The ginger, Mr. Audit, waved him towards the bronze plated lifts. "Our meeting is on the twelfth floor. I assume you've brought the arc reactor with you?"

Tony lifted his briefcase slightly, "My last one." They rose in the elevator to an executive floor, the doors parting.

Mr. Audit went out first, walking side by side with Stark down the corridor. "We're very thankful you've brought it for us. It may help us save a lot of lives in the future."

Tony glanced around the sickly white walls, names on plates outside of the rooms to signify the patients within.

"Mr. Stark?" Audit noticed that Tony had stopped completely, "Mr. Stark, are you all right?"

Tony looked from the name plaque to Mr. Audit. "Macy Moore?"

Mr. Audit lightly put a hand on Tony's shoulder, easing him away and back down the hall. "Yes, she's recently become a patient of ours."

"That's the kid genius, right?" Tony was familiar with the name, curiosity triggering. "What happened to her?"

"A mishap in her laboratory," Audit replied before pushing open the doors to the full meeting hall. "Look alive, gentlemen! Our guest has arrived."

As a round of claps greeted Tony, Genevo Baylor motioned him up to the front of the room.

"Please Tony, come." Mr. Baylor, owner of the hospital, proceeded to envelope Tony in a friendly manner. "Everyone, Mr. Stark here has brought us a great opportunity today."

"Hi, everybody." Tony stood alone at the front of the table, Baylor sitting in the chair to his left. He set his briefcase down, absently rubbing above his eyebrow. "As most people know, after a time in Afghanistan I left with an arc reactor in my chest. About a year ago, I finally had it taken out along with the shrapnel that it was preventing from entering my heart. If anything, the arc reactor saved my life as well as influenced the creation of Iron Man greatly." Tony clasped his hands together, "As I don't need it, I feel it could do a better good here-"

A thunderous rumble quaked through the hospital, ear splitting screams emitting from every floor.

"Sir," Audit pressed a finger to his ear, looking to his boss. "The hospital has been compromised. We have intruders and they're heavily armed."

Genevo sucked in a breath, "Pull a code seven." He stood quickly, a round of gunfire below causing havoc. "Mr. Stark, I say we go to the safe room, now." Taking a gun from a vault hidden in the wall, he loaded it.

Tony knew he didn't have his suits and for the first time, he missed them. His heroic blood took over as half of the people hit the floor when a close proximity explosion blew a hole through the floor.

"Mr. Stark!" Baylor called after Tony when he ripped the gun out of his hands.

Running out the door of the meeting hall, Tony dashed towards the shouting. On impulse, he shot down two men in ski masks that were coming out of the stairwell.

The only man left held and incriminating grin, his fingers running along name plates as he drew closer. "Moore, no?" he questioned in a thick accent littered with violence.

Tony's eyes widened, the suicide bomber three rooms away from Macy's. "Wait!" he shouted, aiming the gun at the man.

A heavy feeling struck the air like a hurricane, sending Tony backwards with a gale force. A thick ringing buzzed out his senses, the bomber now painted along the nearly nonexistent walls.

Tony stumbled upwards, blinking furiously. He staggered towards Macy's room, only able to hear muffled static. Tony winced as he entered, an older female figure charred in a chair and a man crushed by fallen ceiling. His eyes fell to the hospital bed flipped over, a blue nailed hand twitching from underneath.

"Macy." Tony shot over to it, finding a brunette teenage girl struggling to breathe and bleeding out. "I've got you," he pulled Macy from the wreckage, crimson seeping from her chest in a haunting way that was all but too familiar to him. Quickly and carefully he picked her up and carried her out into the corridor.

"Mr. Stark!" Mr. Audit came out from another room as a patient was rolled out, sweat brimming on his forehead and dust sticking to his suit.

Panting, Tony said three words that would change everything.

"Get my briefcase."

-Okay, so I blame myself for going to see AoU today. It just sent my mind spinning. This is a reboot of a fic I started over a year ago that I wrote on a different website that I honestly forgot about until recently. Age of Ultron gave me a way better idea and I couldn't help myself from rolling with it. This begins before Age of Ultron but it will reach it in the story line(*cough* Pietro love interest)

If you ever read a story called 'Iron Macy' on AvengersFF's website, I wrote it and I'm not stealing it.

Also, this is dedicated to Demi because she's rad and also has some kickass Marvel stuff she writes.

-Mel xx