Two: Transition

Look at the new cover 😩 done by @galnerys on TikTok.

Lucy hesitantly went along with that and followed him outside to the parking lot, where he was heading to a specific car. It was a black SUV with the logo of the devil hunters on the passenger door. "If you're as strong as I think you are," Kishibe said, "it's not a good idea to fight anywhere near the city."

She agreed with him.

Kishibe drove them to the countryside, where the population was much less dense. In the far distance, Lucy could barely make out what seemed to be a small farm. That's how spread-out everything was from here.

The man parked next to the road and got out as soon as he was satisfied with the position of his car. She followed suit and waited for further instruction from him. He briefly looked around the area and took a deep breath, walking away from his car.

"I remember when I was training two young devils like you around here," he suddenly mentioned as Lucy trailed behind him. "I guess this is some type of initiation for devils that will become hunters."

Then—without warning—Kishibe took a jab at her stomach with a flash-like speed. She just barely blocked it with her arms.

"Such power!" she commented. Lucy backed up and tried to think of a way to display her abilities without killing him. At this point, they were circling each other; Lucy on the defensive and Kishibe on the offensive.

"There's no need to hold back," he told her. "I am the strongest devil hunter, after all."

She normally wouldn't believe things like this, but his raw strength attested to that. Lucy would've gotten seriously injured had she not blocked it. (Although she will regenerate.) And she still had to think of a way to limit her power strategically.

He lunged at her again, but she was able to read his moves this time. She quickly dodged and tried to pin his head down—which ultimately failed because Kishibe stepped to the side before she could make contact with his body.

"You're not bad!" he complimented. "You're far better than those devils—I mentioned—were at first."
Kishibe then made an upwards kicking motion and aimed for her jaw and she moved out of the way in time with just a little graze on her cheek.

It's time for me to go on the offensive, she thought to herself. Lucy changed her stance and kept herself at a distance from him. Stretching her hand out, she started to activate one of her abilities.

Crush.
Aptly named, Crush is an ability where she could compress anything within the line of sight that her hand covers. Lucy has mastered it to the point where she could also crush specific things in that vicinity without harming anything around it. In this case, she was aiming for the ground below Kishibe to catch him off guard and shake his balance. At this distance, she could create a big enough hole where half his body would be inside it. That was enough for her.

Lucy closed her hand and balled it into a fist, which—in turn—activated Crush.

-

Kishibe sipped his cup of coffee before continuing his conversation with her. A devil interrupted their fight earlier, so they were both forced to forfeit. Too lazy to continue fighting, they decided to go to a coffee shop for lunch....
...Still covered in blood from the devil.
"Are you really not going to form contracts with anyone?" he asked. "It would help the association you're working with a lot, y'know."

Lucy made an irritated face at his words. She was not willing to make contracts as a devil. "Like I said, I'd... rather not," she admitted, biting into her sandwich. "It's too much of an obligation to share your power."