Kurt looked over to where his sister and older cousin were standing, giving him confused looks. He motioned between the two adults and smiled, giving them a thumbs up. Adalynn pursed her lips together in annoyance and her eyes widened.

"Julian, remind me to kill him when we get home," the younger girl said, shooting daggers into her brother with her glare, shaking her head in disapproval.

"What's up with you?" Tina asked as she walked up to the Hummel cousins with Bailey.

"That," Adalynn spat, pointing a finger to her dad and Carole. "He's moving on. He's just forgetting all about her! It's not fair!"

"Ada, people are staring," Julian whispered, putting a hand on the younger girl's back.

Adalynn's face flushed when she saw the eyes of everyone on her, including her dad's. She took a deep breath and took a cupcake from the snack table along with a mini water bottle.

"If you need me, I'll be on the roof convincing myself not to jump," the brunette muttered as she left the room as calmly as possible.

****

Adalynn sat sandwiched in between Julian and Finn in a booth at Breadstix, her gaze lowered as she played with the rips in her jeans. The last thing she wanted was a family dinner with her dad's new girlfriend, and judging by the way Finn was occupying himself with his iced tea, he wasn't too thrilled about it either.

"A toast," Kurt said, hitting his spoon on his Shirley Temple glass. "Tonight is a momentous occasion. It marks the first real communion between the Hummel and the Hudson clans. I imagine that when the Bouvier's and the Kennedy's first broke bread there was a similar sense of joy and urgency. So let me raise my Shirley Temple to our new little family."

Adalynn scoffed and rolled her eyes, getting a jab in the ribs from Julian, who gave her a look that told her she should be nice.

"We're not a family," Finn grumbled.

"Ain't that the truth," Adalynn agreed, crossing her arms and leaning back against the cushion of the booth before sighing and nudging her cousin. "Move it, stink brain."

"Why?" Julian asked.

"Do you want me to pee on you?" the younger girl asked, raising a brow. "Yeah, I don't think so. Now scooch."

Kurt slid out so that Julian could get out, which allowed Adalynn to get out. Not looking back, she headed to where the restrooms were located so she could escape through the back door of the restaurant. When the cool air hit her cheeks, she felt all the annoyance she felt disappear for a moment.

Adalynn sat down on the curb and looked up at the night sky. She scanned it until she found the brightest star. She closed her eyes, her mothers words echoing in her ears.

If there's ever a time we're apart, look up at the sky and find the brightest star. That's where I'll be. I'm smiling down on you and watching you become the amazing young woman you're bound to be.

"What am I supposed to do, Mama?" Adalynn asked, her voice breaking as her eyes opened and she fixated on the star. "I'm trying to be strong, but with every day that passes it gets harder and harder. Dad's moving on. Am I supposed to move on too? Please send me a sign. A butterfly or-or something. Please. I don't know what to do."

She paused and listened, hoping for something to let her know she was on the right path. When nothing happened, she sighed and ran a hand through her hair. The door to the restaurant opened and Finn came out. He sat down on the curb next to Adalynn and put his letterman jacket over her shoulders when he noticed her shivering.