Promise
Los Angeles, California
11:24am

"Ms.Moore!"

My head shot up quickly, noticing I had drool on the side of my face. I looked around seeing it was only me in the classroom.

"Do you want to tell me the reason you are always falling asleep in class?"my professor folded his arms and waited for my response as I fixed myself in my seat.

After Chris left last night, Melody woke up and noticed he wasn't there anymore and made a big fuss. I eventually put her back to sleep but it was 6 in the morning and I had to be at the school at 9:30 for my classes today.

"Um studying" I said and he sighed as if he knew I was lying.

"Listen Ms.Moore you are one of my best students, maybe even the best but you are slipping due to sleeping in the class. You are missing the most important parts of the lecture"

"I apologize, I've just been -"

"Studying, I got that part" Professor Marshal said taking off his glasses and standing from behind his desk.

He is my Psychology professor, and he was my only black teacher here at Stanford.

"I don't know what's going on Ms.Moore, but I expect more"

"And more you will get" I stood and grabbed my things.

"Yes, starting with the paper that is pass due" I stopped in my tracks and sighed.

"I am so sorry that completely slipped my mind"

"I'm sure it did. I'm giving you until Monday to complete your research paper"

"Monday? I know I've missed the deadline but there's no way I can complete a 12 page research report by then Mr.Marshal"

"I'm sorry Ms.Moore, but that paper is overdue by a week now. Get it in or your grade will drop significantly" he opened his door and I grabbed my bag and walked pass him.

I continued walking to my car until I seen him leaning on it smiling at me.

"Not in the mood today" I walked pass him and threw my bag in passenger seat of my truck.

"Damn shawty what I do?" He smiled at me as I got in and closed the door. He rested his hands on the ledge of the window as I looked at him. I couldn't help but to smile.

"Bye Jamel"

"What I tell you? It's Ja"

"Your team and your girls call you Ja, your name is Jamel" he sucked his teeth and waved me off

"Anyway, you coming to the game tonight?"

"Can't, I'm going back to New York today" I shook my head and immediately looked at my phone.

"Im gonna miss my flight" I panicked putting my key in the ignition.

"Always late for sum" he laughed and tapped my car before walking away.

When I first started here, I was so lost about where all my classes were and I so happened to tap someone and it was Jamel or as everyone else call him, Ja Morant. He's from Memphis but he plays basketball here. He was the first and only person that was nice to me here and we instantly clicked. He reminded me so much of Taurus, I think that's why I was so fond of him.

I pulled up to Chris house and got out. I knocked on the door and it opened to Chris.

"Hey"

"Wassup" he opened the door and I walked in and looked around for Mel but I didn't see her.