Nervous

I woke up from a deep slumber I never thought would have happened since I was so anxious about me going to school . "Finally , finally !" I screamed inwardly . Growing up , I heard a lot of stories about boarding school . Some true , some fake , but here I was , sitting on my bed , a few meters away from my bedroom door , pondering on what my experience in boarding school will be like . Could it be a cumbersome journey ? A senior high school love life ? An expedition of a heroine? Or a tale of a brilliant student? Well, whatever be the case , I will like to see how my school life will turn out to be . In anyway , I will give thanks to God because everything has a tangible reason .

I then heard a confident but soft knock on my door . That was enough to bring me down to earth . I knew at once who had knocked because I'm familiar to this particular knock . "Kpa!kpa!kpa!" It went . Come in Mum ! The door is open . She opened the door slowly and entered my room . She wasn't fully dressed . Just a simple cloth was tied around her torso . She had no shoes on and no jewerlies . She immediately frowned and quipped ; It's thirty minutes passed seven and you're still in bed? I'm going to get dressed , by the time I'm back , I also want to see you dressed so , have your quiet time , freshen up, and get dressed! "Yes Mum" , I answered. She shook her head and made use of the door . I quickly prepared myself, dressed and hurriedly went to the dining hall for breakfast. It was exactly thirty minutes past eight when I had my breakfast . I ate a bowl of cereal and milk , washed my bowl and headed off to tell mum I'm done. On my way, I met my dad in the hall looking smart in his black suit , purple tie and matching black shoes . "You look smart!" He complimented my green checked uniform and black sandals . You look great yourself , I commented back and run to my mum's room to inform her of my completed mission.
I gave my usual loud and irritating knock . "What is it?" Mum shouted with frustration evident in her voice . "I'm done." I replied . Okay, will be there in a minute . I went back to the hall and saw my dad sitting comfortably on the sofa . I decided to sit and have a chat with him , since I'm not going to see him for a long time .

He took his time to advise me on high school life . Beware of those you make friends with . Don't trust anyone . People pretend to be good but are cunning and callous . Don't befriend people without vision . Don't go near smokers and prostitutes for they have nothing good in their lives . Hold fast on God and never cease praying . These were some of the advices he gave to me to adhere . My family is caring and God fearing . They always make it known to me that there's a great God up there watching every movement of each and everyone on this earth . They always tell me , Selassie ! Don't joke with your Bible . Read and study it as if your life depends on it . As a good daughter, I obey every right thing they say . They have actually had life's experiences and know the twists and turns in life . They know more than I do , so I pay attention to every single word they utter ,for there is wisdom spotted in their speech.

Alas! The moment I've been subconsciously waiting for arrived. Mum walked graciously in her yellow dress with sunflower prints all over it . She wore a simple black pump shoe , a golden watch and had tied her braids into a bun . The yellow dress which was an inch below her knees swayed magnificently on her coca-cola shape . I noticed a small black purse in her hands also . For her age , I think she might look young . Well , could it be as a result of having only one child? Ahem! She broke the silence . It was there I realized I was absent in the hall mentally . Pooh! I easily get distracted. "Ready? Selassie?" She asked . Umm.... Yeah, ready. "Okay then, I guess I'll be dropping you guys off." Dad interrupted. I went to get my trunk , chop box , bucket , pillow and mattress. I loaded them all in my dad's car boot . As a single child, I got everything I wanted or needed , so I never lacked. I've always had the perception of making my parents proud and not disappointing them someday. Unfortunately, I had already disappointed them in my abysmal results of aggregate 15 . To this day, I still don't accept the fact that those were my results. I cried my eyes out when I saw my results as it was a shock to me since I was expecting better. Others had questioned my performance but for the fact that I was ashamed, I lied of not knowing my results when I knew I had already checked it on the internet. After all, they are not the ones in charge of my fees , are they?

As if to add salt to the injury , I was deprived of getting my first choice . I didn't even get my second choice. Neither my third nor fourth but had my fifth choice. I wept again when I found out that I'll be going to a B school . I was consoled by my parents and was told to believe God , for everything happens for a reason. It doesn't matter which school you attend but how you're going to study hard and be successful someday . From then , I promised to study hard , pass my external exam , pursue a good course at the university level, get a good job, raise a handsome amount of money and eventually take good care of my parents in appreciation to them for all the support they have given me , towards my future . We later sat in my dad's car in preparation towards school. On our way, I monitored the routes dad had passed so I will be able to go by myself one day . Dad showed me the lorry stations which could take me to school and back . I'm kind of nervous at the same time, excited. Although it's a B school , I know very well I am going to love it . I had checked out the school on the internet and learnt a lot about the school. Sebastian college with the short form or Nicky is known to be "Sebasco." The people who attend the school are currently known as "Sebascans," while the old students are entitled "Sebabi", with the "bi" derived from the Ga language meaning , children. Literally, children of Seba. Their colours are green and yellow with a little bit of cream. The school seemed massive in the pictures I had viewed some days ago on the internet. It did not look bad as I had expected. "We're here !" Dad quipped. He parked at the parking lot and we got down.