51. what we stay alive for

Start from the beginning

"I am," He eventually sighed, he scratched his head in contemplation. "Fine. I'll take you, but on the basis that you call Thomas when you're in London, or get Ada to call him."

"I'm eighteen years old, for Christ's sake!" Clara burst, "I don't need permission to leave. I just need a ride up there. Look, are you going to take me or not? Because if you aren't I'm just going I have to puncture your tires and then steal Arthur's car."

Michael chuckled as he stamped out his cigarette. He opened the car door and gestured to the inside. Clara's eyes lit up in hope.

"Get in then," he huffed. Clara's eyes widened and she slowly moved toward the car and climbed in. Michael slammed his own door shut as he started up the car. "Oh, Tommy is gonna have my head."

"Join the club," Clara sighed as she sunk back into the leather upholstery. "We convene every Tuesday and Wednesday."

"Oh, hah, hah," Michael dryly mocked, Clara didn't smile as he joked she merely remained straight-faced. She leaned her head out the window as Michael started the car and pulled out of the garage and past the courtyard. Her head turned as she watched the double doors to Arrow House open revealing John, and Arthur leaving with Tommy standing firm in the doorway like the King of his bloody palace. She watched their faces contort upon noticing her head and hair hanging out of the car. She could see John elbowing Arthur and pointing towards the distancing car.

The girl thrust her arm up, her fist clenched and her middle finger raised toward her brothers as the car continued into the countryside, leaving the miserable fortress of Arrow House far behind.

CLARA ALMOST KISSED THE GRAVEL OF THE LONDON GROUND...that was until she saw Polly Gray storming towards them with an unreadable expression across her face. One that sent shivers down Clara's spine. The older woman's lips were pursed, her hat firm on her head as she stopped in front of Michael and Clara.

"You are supposed to be in bed, girl," Polly tutted, her hand drifting up to brush her thumb just below the scar on Clara's cheekbone. The girl was tempted to sink into the warm touch but instead, she found herself flinching away. She didn't deserve such warmth.

"I would've rotted in that bed if I didn't leave," the girl grumbled, her hands being swallowed by the cuffs of her cardigan. She pulled away from the woman, ignoring the glance shared by Michael and Polly as she made her way towards Ada's front door. She knocked out of politeness but opened the door and waltzed in nevertheless. Her sister stood in the doorframe leading to the living room, her arms folded over her chest but her eyes widened remarkably at the sight of Clara in the hall.

"Oh, hello!" Ada rushed forward to hug Clara. "I didn't know you were coming!" Clara wanted to sink into the familiarity of the hug but she couldn't. Her body was shaking again. Her mouth was dry and her body hot and uncomfortable. The collar of her shirt was suddenly rather ill-fitting and scratchy.

"Neither did I," Poll hummed as she took off her hat and placed it on the stand beside her jacket. The older woman paused to look at the youngest Shelby girl with stern eyes.

"I'll be upstairs," Clara suddenly announced, her loud voice causing her to shrink inwards. She didn't wait for a response before she sluggishly climbed the stairs. Her family could only watch until she disappeared out of view before they moved into the living room to proceed with their business. Usually, Clara would've had to join them, but she technically wasn't meant to be there at all, so...no harm, no foul?