18. the gas station

Start from the beginning

"It's still raining," I say, "and I'm not taking an Uber across the street."

George shakes his head as he stands. "Are you going to melt in the rain or something, y/n?"

My eyes meet his, and I notice the challenge of his words.

I stand with him. "Of course not."

O O O

recommend listening to: 'new girl' by finneas OR 'hands around my neck' by finneas

"It's raining a little more than I had thought," George says while we look out across the long parking lot towards the gas station's fluorescent lights.

George and I stand in the doorway, covered by the tiny awning above the frame. George shoves the room key into his pocket along with his phone. I take it as a sign that we're actually going to run across the lot.

"Ready?" George's mouth pulls into a smirk, once again challenging me into the rain.

"Mhm." I pull my hoodie up around my head.

George takes off without any other warning, and i have no choice but to just follow.

It's not a hard parking lot to navigate. I follow George over the parking meters, ensuring to not step in the deep puddles scattered around. George, running ahead of me, steps in a couple along the way which allows me to know exactly what not to do.

George only stops when he's under the covering around the gas station. He glances back to me; his hair falls in a wet frame around his face. He takes his hand and lazily swipes the water droplets off his forehead.

He laughs when I stop next to him. "You look rough."

I roll my eyes and walk past him towards the door. "You should see yourself, George."

"So what are we getting?" George keeps pace with my walk. He messily moves his hair off his forehead, but the weight of the water makes it stick right back in place.

"Whatever they have here," I say, "I don't know if we'll have many choices."

My hand reaches out to grab the doorhandle, but another hand grabs it first. I glance at George while he opens the gas station door for me. I just nod while the cool air conditioning causes goose bumps up my arm.

George and I scan the aisles slowly, not talking too much. He grabs two sodas bottles in between his knuckles on one hand. I'm staring at the microwaveable food options when he stops to stand next to me.

"What are we thinking?" I ask in front of the brightly-colored packaging.

"So many healthy options." He chuckles. "How could I choose?"

"Let's see, we have the beef and beans jumbo burrito." I gesture to a strangely shaped cylinder packaging. "Or we have the classic noodle bowls."

George uses his free hand to jokingly stroke his chin. "I'm thinking the burrito is kind of suspicious."

"It feels lumpy." I hand him the item to feel.

His face contorts into disgust, and he sets it back on the shelve. "Yeah, no."

"Burrito bowl it is," I agree.

We stare at the four different flavors offered to us.

George is the one to break the silence between us. "Is hot and spicy even a flavor?"

"I think it's a better option than the lobster."

"Ew, where do you see lobster?"

I point to the row which seemed to have more bowls left than the others.