Section 3 - Their Future Together: Chapter 3 - Fun Times

Start from the beginning

Peter was looking at her with the strangest expression of awe and love. He took her hand and said, "April, I remember that morning, the meeting was to be with all the centaurs. We were planning the battle against the giants from the north. I had a lot of hard decisions to make. The dryad was so gentle and brightened my day. I can't help but feel that it was you, or rather, the particular dryad that is a part of your history. You know, their form was fairly fluid, but you do resemble her."

He thought for a moment more and added, "She was in love with me? That would make sense. If she liked human men, she would choose one and ask to become human herself."

They sat in silence, trying to take it all in. There was so much of Narnia that was a part of them both. Their connection was growing deeper.

"I didn't think there was anything that could make me love you more, but knowing that a part of you was there watching over me, caring for me....well, there are no words to describe how that makes me feel."

She touched his cheek and leaned in to kiss him.

~~Section Break ~~

Their train left after classes on Friday. April was so relieved to be off campus. Without being able to dance on a daily basis she had all this pent up energy and it was driving her batty. It was a short train ride but had it started out strained. Susan was withdrawn and snappish whenever anyone spoke with her especially, it seemed, with April. As much as April wanted to sit with Peter, she moved over to Susan.

"Susan, I can't help but notice that you seem really upset right now. If I have done something to offend you, I apologize.

"April, it is not you. Or, it could be that you are Peter are so happy and good together. Christopher broke up with me today. It has been coming, and I should have seen it before, but it still stings.... And, sometimes I just feel left out of things. I feel different about Narnian things now. It doesn't make me happy to talk about it, it just makes me feel weird and uncomfortable."

April expressed her sympathy and sat talking with her during the journey. Peter kept glancing at her to make sure all was okay.

Susan laughed, "You'd better go back over to him. He can't stand not be near you. It's quite sickening actually."

April teased, "Well, if you think we should teach him a lesson, I'll stay."

"I'd rather be alone, but thank you April for checking on me. I am glad that you are becoming a part of this family."

~~Section Break ~~

Peter's parents picked them up at the station since it was dark and late. They were very kind and welcoming to April. It was one of the few times she had ridden in an automobile. They were fairly common but with all the war rationing, most people used them infrequently. It was a tight fit. Lucy rode up front with Mr. and Mrs. Pevensie while the four others rode in the back. April had to sit on Peter's lap to fit. He wrapped his arms around her waist to secure her. She leaned back against the side of the car and him. She felt him sigh and tighten his grip ever so slightly. Everyone was talking and laughing, but to April it sounded far away. Before she knew it they were at the house. Everyone piled out and April slid over on the seat. Peter got out and then reached his hand in to help her out of the car. It was a good thing he did. Her foot got caught in her dress and she started to pitch forward. Peter caught her and set her on her feet, pausing for just a moment. Aware that his parents might be watching she pushed away from him. But, he held tight. She looked around. They were alone. A voice called from the house. Peter said that they would be right in.

"I'm really glad you are here," he said softly. She leaned against him, he put his arm around her waist and grabbed her bag with his other hand and they walked into the house.