The Power Of Madonna

Start from the beginning

"Genius," said Rachel.

"Icon," Kurt added.

"Legend," Adalynn gasped.

"Hall of fame, MILF," Puck smirked, getting a side eye from Quinn.

"So, we're all aware of Madonna's musical and cultural significance, which is why this week's assignment is to come up with a Madonna number," Mr. Schue explained.

The Hummel siblings exchanged an excited look as Julian rolled his eyes.

"Uh, Mr. Schue?" Puck raised his hand. "As a dude, Madonna makes me kind of uncomfortable."

"As a woman, you make me uncomfortable," Bailey said, glaring back at the boy from her spot next to Brittany.

"Shut it, tumbleweed," the older boy scoffed.

"Madonna's smoking and everything, but can't some of us do something else?" Finn asked. "Like the guy version of Madonna? Like, you know, Pantera?"

"It's come to my attention that many of you haven't been treating the young ladies of our group very nicely lately," said Mr. Schue. "You're disrespectful, bullying, sexist, and I hate to say it, misogynistic."

"I have no idea what that means," said Finn.

"When I pulled my hamstring I went to a misogynist," Brittany mumbled.

"What it means is put yourself in their shoes for a change," the teacher explained.

"Yeah, so which one of the lovely young men in here wants to take my period for a week?" Adalynn asked, sitting up and looking around at the boys. "You guys say it's 'not a big deal' but you have no idea what it's like to have what feels like an angry baby tiger scratching up your insides."

"Tell 'em, babe," Mercedes said, snapping her fingers and turning around to high-five the younger girl.

"Culturally, Madonna's legacy transcends her music because by and large, the subtext of her songs are about being strong, independent, and confident no matter what your sex," Mr. Schue continued. "But more than anything, Madonna's musical message is about equality. And that is something I think you guys need to work on."

"Mr. Schue, I don't think we can have an honest conversation about Miss Ciccone without acknowledging that her images are as indelible as her songs," said Kurt. "I'd like to honor her contributions by tackling a multimedia project with my lovely sister and Mercedes."

"I'm so in," Adalynn smiled. "Anything to spend time with my favorite older brother."

"I'm your only older brother, little me," the brunette boy chuckled.

"Exactly, which makes you my favorite."

"Brittsy, you're my favorite big sister," said Bailey.

"And you're my favorite little sister," Brittany smiled, putting an arm around the younger girl.

"Ugh, quit making me feel like an only child," Rachel grumbled, crossing her arms.

"You are an only child," said Julian.

"Hummel siblings, Mercedes, go for it," Mr. Schue said, hoping to get everyone back on track.

"I'm still not down," said Puck. "And no chick intimidates Puckzilla."

"I don't think her music translates to show choir," Julian added.

"Really?" Rachel asked, side-eyeing the junior. "Well, I, for one, couldn't disagree more."