Something quite like August

AUGUST BY TAYLOR SWIFT

'cause you were never mine'

general theme(s): kth and ill decisions. salty air. beach shore. never meant to be. exchanges that slipped away into moments in time. a secret well kept, and then fallen into oblivion. seashells. skinny dipping. august, except it's not. you, except you are not mine. us, except there is no such thing. you were never mine to keep. 

Taehyung had slipped away into the night. With a bottle of cheap wine in hand, he'd fornicated* with the shadow's until he'd grown to question whether he'd become one. Whether the star-freckled clouds had encompassed and carried him away. To some distant Neverland. A place he could feel alive, again. 

A place where he could inhale. 

His parents had omitted a truth from him. They'd omitted many, but of all the ones, this was unforgiveable. 

They'd never mentioned how with every aging year, it is like the air in your lungs dissipates. You start holding your breath just to get through the day, through a shift. You wait for the afternoon to catch it again, but then the afternoons start growing burdensome in a way uniquely their own. It grows, the weight on your chest. Drowns you and kills you slowly. 

In his brief recollection tonight, he supposes they'd been unconvincing in their pretensions. They hadn't had to voice this truth to him; it had already been perceivable, if only he could have afforded to look past their angry, disappointed frowns. 

He would have seen the drawn bags lining their eyes. The burst capillaries on the margins. He would have felt the exasperated sigh leaving their lips while bracing their weight against the counter, just trying to stand another day. 

He could feel that helpless sigh, now. Infact, it had grown to become his. 

A sigh seeping into the quiet night. 

Quiet, safe for the whirring of cars on the highway, a couple miles back. Safe for the chirping of crickets. 

Quiet, safe for a snapping exclaim of a nearby branch. 

Taehyung stiffens, using the bottle resting on his thigh as leverage. 

"Boo!" 

He doesn't startle. Too inhibited to react within the acceptable time frame. Or simply, too unbothered. Instead he turns his head with a lazy, drunken gaze and there you are. His Neverland, stardust lining your eyes. 

The stars could surely envy you. 

You kick the air, standing and waiting awkwardly, as if for an invitation from him to sit. You weren't sure if he'd appreciate you intruding on his hideout. Even if it was a vacant restaurant patio, with rusted chairs and overgrown ivy. "They are going crazy looking for you, you know?"