Parseltongue And Presents (edited)

Start from the beginning

"I'm not actually keeping it, i'm going to set it free in the Dark Forest tomorrow morning," i rolled my eyes.

"I spoke a different language? But - I didn't realize - how can I speak a language without knowing I can speak it?" Harry asked.

Ron shook his head. Both he and Hermione were looking as though someone had died. I couldn't see what was so terrible.

"D'you want to tell me what's wrong with stopping a massive snake biting off Justin's head?" Harry said.

"What does it matter that we can speak it?" i asked.

"It matters," said Hermione, speaking at last in a hushed voice, "Because being able to talk to snakes was what Salazar Slytherin was famous for. That's why the symbol of Slytherin House is a serpent."

Oh, I thought, just what Harry needed. Or me for that matter.

"Exactly," said Ron. "And now the whole school's going to think you're his great-great-great-great-grandson and daughter or something -"

"But I'm not," Harry said.

"You'll find that hard to prove," said Hermione. "Especially you Belle, since you don't know who your parents are. He lived about a thousand years ago; for all we know, you could be."

By next morning, the snow that had begun in the night had turned into a blizzard so thick that the last Herbology lesson of the term was cancelled: Professor Sprout wanted to fit socks and scarves on the Mandrakes, a tricky operation she would entrust to no one else, now that it was so important for the Mandrakes to grow quickly and revive Mrs. Norris and Colin Creevey.

That didn't help my nerves at all, but i'd managed to get out and free the snake in the forest, i got a nice thank you in return. And then Ginny had to catch my eye, and yet again, my mind went blank. 

I remember, when I came too in my dorm, Ginny and I wandering to Myrtle's bathroom, letting the great snake out of the chamber and unleashing it on Nearly Headless Nick and that Justin boy who'd run from the hall. We closed up after, and I returned to the Slytherin common room.

Somehow i managed to talk with Penny about something stupid before going to bed – none of the Slytherins seemed bothered by my new ability, apparently they were really proud. Which mad me feel - for the first time - at home in Slytherin. At least they didn't give me dirty looks like the rest of the school.

"At this rate, we'll be the only ones left," Ron told Harry, Hermione and me one morning over breakfast. "Us, Malfoy, Crabbe, and Goyle. What a jolly holiday it's going to be."

Crabbe and Goyle, who always did whatever Malfoy did, had signed up to stay over the holidays, too. But I was glad that most people were leaving. I was tired of people, of watching them avoid Harry and i.

Fred and George, however, found all this very funny. They went out of their way to march ahead of us down the corridors, shouting, "Make way for the Heirs of Slytherin, seriously evil wizard and witch coming through."

At last the term ended, and a silence deep as the snow on the grounds descended on the castle. It was peaceful, and me, Harry, Hermione, and the Weasleys had the run of Gryffindor Tower, which meant we could play Exploding Snap loudly without bothering anyone, and practice duelling in private.

Though McGonagall had approached me and ask that i stay in the Slytherin dorms each night instead. Honestly, from the way she looked at me i had a feeling she was more inclined to believe all the rumours.

Fred, George, and Ginny had chosen to stay at school rather than visit Bill in Egypt with Mr. and Mrs. Weasley. Percy, who disapproved of what he termed their childish behaviour didn't spend much time in the Gryffindor common room.

Hermione and I, on Christmas morning with our arms full of presents burst in on the boys and I woke them up just like last year while Hermione opened the curtains.

"I've been up for nearly an hour, adding more lacewings to the potion. It's ready," Hermione explained and the boys bolted upright.

"Are you sure?" Harry asked.

"Positive," said Hermione, "If we're going to do it, I say it should be tonight."

At that moment, Hedwig swooped into the room, carrying a very small package in her beak.

"Hello," said Harry happily as she landed on his bed. "Are you speaking to me again?"

I ignored it and got on with my presents. Hermione had got me more sugar quills and a set of blackened white gold hoops to match my mother's ring. Ron had gotten me a book about all the Quidditch rules and regulations with some funny stories in it, and Hagrid sent me a huge tub of treacle. Mrs Weasley sent me another jumper in a slightly darker pink this time, which went on immediately, and some toffee.

"Oh I love it!" Hermione squealed, hugging me.

I had made her a charm bracelet with a little set of fangs, a lightning bolt, a W, and a black sparrow on it, representing us four, and then a lion representing Gryffindor. I'd made the same for Ginny but put a small silver cat on it to represent her.

"Thanks Belle," Ron grinned, holding a huge- I mean bigger than him – box of sweets (I may have stolen them from the abandoned shop i'd been squatting in).

Harry grinned as well, holding up his present. I'd made him a pendant with a lion's head on it. He in return had gotten me a blackened white gold chain bracelet with a little snake charm on it for a joke.

I could see that going over well when everyone returned from Christmas.

-