Nine

Madison sat on the edge of Rosie's bed as she took in deep, cleansing breaths. She didn't know what had happened to her. One minute she was touching a music box, and the next she'd been thrown into such a vivid vision it had nearly made her curl on the floor and sob like a baby.

Had she just seen Rosie? If so, the poor girl was frightened senseless and needed to be found immediately.

"Here," kneeling in front of her, Alice lifted a cup of liquid to Madison's mouth, "drink it slowly."

Madison sniffed before allowing any of the amber liquid into her mouth. The strong, scent was unmistakable. Whiskey. The vile drink reminded her of her drunken uncle. Shaking her head, she pushed the cup away. "I shall be fine. I assure you."

Alice stared at her with wide eyes. "Are you certain? You are deathly pale."

"I-I just had a vision."

Alice sucked in an enthusiastic breath. "About Rosie?"

Madison shrugged. "I think so, but I cannot be certain. I couldn't actually see the girl, but I heard her crying, and the man on the other side of the door yelled at her to be silent."

"Oh, dear." Alice brought the drink to her own mouth and gulped it down. "We need to tell Cameron."

"No." Madison pushed past the other woman and stood. The room spun around her for a brief moment, but soon she was able to gain momentum. "Because I cannot be certain it was Rosie, your brother will accuse me of trying to trick you." She shook her head. "I won't have it."

Rising to her feet, Alice frowned as her eyes coated with tears. "But you are our last hope."

Madison's heart wrenched. "Don't say that. I'm sure your brother will find something soon. After all, he's a good inspector, is he not?"

"Yes. He's one of the best."

"See there," Madison motioned her hand. "I'm certain he'll find Rosie very soon." Her mind returned to the music box. "Alice? Did Rosie like that music box in the hall?"

"Not really." Alice wiped the moisture from under her eyes. "That was Father's favorite."

Madison narrowed her gaze on the other woman. "I wonder why I had a vision when I touched it."

Alice shrugged. "I cannot tell you. Maybe my sister bumped into it before she went missing."

"Possibly."

"Then again," Alice said as her voice grew melancholy, "if Rosie had bumped into it and it fell to the floor, she wouldn't have picked it up. She would have had our servant, Mrs. Trumble get it. Rosie walks around here as if she is a queen most of the time."

"Why do you think she acts that way?"

"I don't know." Alice sighed and walked out of the room. Madison followed. "I suppose it stems back to when she was in Scotland for the first six years of her life. When she finally came to live with us, Father spoiled her endlessly. When Father passed, Cameron took over as a father-figure, and he spoiled her, too...although not as much as Father."

Madison wasn't sure she would have tolerated the spoiled antics of that girl. It's a good thing she didn't know Rosie. Madison would have said something to put the girl in her place a time or two.

Alice was silent as they descended the stairs. Madison's chest became heavy again, knowing she would have to leave. But this was the best thing to do, especially when Cameron didn't want her here.

Smiling the best she could, she grasped Alice's hand. "I hope we will stay friends, even if your brother doesn't think you should associate with me."

Alice rolled her eyes. "I do a lot of things my brother doesn't know about. I would love to be your friend."