bread n butter (taste test)

"HUEY!"

"yeah?"

"i said HUEY ?!"

a pause. nothing homo was said, but there was an uneven silence across the apartment, with only the little murmur of socked footsteps receding.

"what?"

"where the fuck is the jam?"

huey scratched his head, trying to remember the live status of the refrigerator.

oh wait. that's almost impossible.

"uhm, i think we're out."

"pfft. now i have to eat my toast and butter with no jam."

huey rolled his hand, furrowing his brow. "so...?"

"n〜, whatcha mean 'so?'" riley exclaimed.

huey just blinked.

"maaan, do i really gotta explain to yo gay ass 'why'?"

huey sighed, sitting down.

"go ahead."

"toast is plain. and when i add butter, it gets slightly less plain. like... it's still white. why does anyone wanna eat something that is rem-in-scent of a white dude? hmph."

"uncle ruckus, that's who," the brothers said in unison.

riley pointed his butterknife through the air, and huey combed his fingers through his hair, the very idea of that confused man giving him a headache.

"not to mention, it tastes like ass."

"wait... riley - you know the word 'reminiscent'? you did the summer work?"

riley, with no tact, ignored his brother's question, patting his black durag.

"actually, yaknow what? i'm thirteen now, ass may not be so bad for a real n〜 like me."

huey was briefly shocked at this random comment

"c'mon man, don't be so vulgar. you shouldn't hypersexualise yourself at this age. people may just take advantage of that."

"what-ever man. down at school, everybody gotta know that young reezy got playyy."

riley finished his toast and hopped off his seat, leaving the plate

"i'm getting dressed."

"don't forget to wash your ass!"

huey just kept his furrowed brow as he watched his brother exit the room.

however, despite his horrific table manners, he knew deep down that his little brother was probably scared about making that impression.

riley didn't wanna be dumb, but he didn't want to be too smart. nor did he want to be obsessed with girls -- yet nor did he want his peers to think he had no "rizz".

damn.

life as a teenager was gonna be tough for him. especially in a new school of integrated class, and race. the school really liked to emphasise its racial and cultural diversity. huey rested his cheek in one hand, leaning on the marble counter.

come to think of it, there'd be tons of kids just like riley, dying to make the impression, and also indulging in the lite version of a so-called "thug life".

he wondered, for just one moment, if maybe - just maybe, there would be someone a bit like him.

nah...