Chapter One

1

The first week of junior year at the first pep rally. There they were: Vicki and Damien. The “perfect” couple. Kissing on the top bleachers. Damien slowly starts to touch her waist. I mean come on. We’re at school for God’s sake. Do that shit at home.

I have to admit I'm jealous however. Damien was my first straight boy crush from freshman year. His short blonde hair and ocean blue eyes. He has charm like no other that would attract any girl and boy. Damien had the softest lips that looked so kissable. I was obsessed with him for months. Watching his every movement, and cherishing every moment I talked to him. I sound like a total creep.

However, my crush on Damien was short-lived when he met Vicki during sophomore year. Vicki was the type of girl who switched boyfriends every couple months. There was the football jock Josh, and the anime nerd Henry. She didn’t have a type. Vicki experiments with a lot of boys. Finally, Vicki started to date Damien. They’ve been together ever since. Doing “cute” couples photos on their instagrams, and holding hands in the hallway. I guess Vicki is done experimenting. 

Sometimes I wished Vicki and Damien would break up, and Damien would run to me. Put his hand on my heart and whisper sweet nothings in my ear. How romantic. Obviously, my dream wouldn’t be a reality since Damien isn’t gay. Right? My thoughts get interrupted by a buzz from my phone. 

Jasmin: Where are you??? I thought we were going to hang under the bleachers.

I forgot I planned to chill with Jasmin and Alex under the bleachers. Ditch this shitty pep rally. It’s literally the same every year. The cheerleaders do a little performance, and Principle Blue throws a tantrum when boys yell, “Lift up your skirts!” Yeah, I’d rather pass. I responded to Jasmin’s text.

Me: I’m coming. Be there in a bit

                                                                                             …

“Finally! I thought you were never going to get here.”, Jasmin yells as she pulls snacks from her backpack. Alex quickly puts their finger to their mouth and whispers, “Shh! We’re trying not to get caught!” Jasmin ignores them and continues to pull Kit-Kats and Starbursts from her bag. “Now this, this is what a true pep rally should be.”, I say with Starbursts in my mouth. Both Jasmin and Alex put their hands up to show that they agree. 

Right before we could start a conversation, we heard footsteps coming. Alex starts to panic. “Oh shit! Oh shit! A teacher is coming. We’re going to get caught!” Jasmin puts her hand on their face. “Shut up! You’re going to get us caught!”, grunting her teeth. 

“Relax guys. No one says we’re fucked until I say we’re fucked.” We all huddle in the shadows in silence. 

The whispers of Damien and Vicki break the silence. My heart starts to beat. I let out one last breath and words came out. 

“We’re fucked.”