Rhaenyra hummed, the pair meandering through the halls as they spoke on what they wished to do in the upcoming weeks and days. They spoke of their wedding, what Malkym's family would be doing and then the topic of Malkym finally meeting his betrothed's famed dragon.

When they reached the Godswood, the pair found that everyone else was already speaking to one another and it was just those two who were the last to arrive.

"Food first, my darling dragon?"

"Yes, please." Rhaenyra nodded at that as Malkym went to grab the two something to eat as she joined her father and step-mother.

"Our mother, she had no regard for customs, traditions, rules." Malkym joined them halfway through a conversation, handing some food to Rhaenyra for her to eat swiftly as he watched the Targaryen king and his once heir, analysing both of them, and their relationship that they presented. "And I, sadly, was no warrior."

"Congratulations, uncle, on your victory." Rhaenyra smiled politely, though she was met with annoyed looks from both Viserys and Alicent. Malkym allowed his eyes to find his uncle, cocking one eyebrow. Rickard merely shook his head in response, telling him not to move and that they would talk later.

"Thank you, Princess." 

They fell into awkward silence again. Malkym turned back, continuing to watch as he caught Daemon's eye. The once heir was staring at him, wondering who he was and why he was standing with them, let alone, why Malkym had handed a plate of food to the princess and not left them alone.

"Perhaps, Prince Daemon would like a tour of the gallery?" Alicent suggested, as Malkym hummed. "He hasn't yet seen the new tapestries gifted to you by Norvos and Qohor."

Viserys began to chuckle, before turning to his brother.

"Would you like to see the tapestries?" Both of them started to laugh, and Malkym could not help but feel a little sorry for Alicent in that moment. She did not look happy, and whilst Malkym did not like her, he did not wish unhappiness or misery on anyone. Well, mostly everyone. Rhaenyra's fingers dug into his arm, as Malkym shot her a calming look, one that Daemon picked up on quickly. "He has no interest in such things."

"I'd like to see them." Rhaenyra turned to her once friend with a nod.

"Oh, well then you should not deprive yourself." Malkym felt the barb in that sentence. Viserys was annoyed with them, but for what, Malkym did not know. They had done the tour, obliged playing through this farce and had accepted that their betrothal was not to be announced due to the arrival of Daemon, and yet...Viserys was annoyed with them?

"My betrothed and I shall enjoy them." Rhaenyra gave Malkym's arm a gentle tug as they turned to go back inside. Rhaenyra was fuming, her shoulders shaking as she fought the urge to glare at the ground. Malkym caught, from the corner of his eyes, the way that Daemon's face turned sour, his eyes narrowing as he stared at Malkym, and the man knew that he'd have to watch out for this in the future.

"That was rude."

"Me?" Rhaenyra spun, more than ready to tell him that he was wrong.

"No. Your father." Malkym corrected. "You know that I am always on your side, my dragon."

"Malkym!" The pair both paused, turning to find Rickard walking towards them. "Come, we must speak. I apologise, Your Grace."

"It is fine." 

Malkym bowed his head at her, before walking away with his uncle. "What ever is the matter?"

"A raven came whilst you were on tour. It has just been given to me." Rickard sighed, before squeezing Malkym's shoulder. "You have to go back to Alterwoode. Your father has passed."

The world went silent around Malkym, his ears ringing as he stared at Rickard. The blood drained from his face, before he hummed and bowed his head.

"As the eldest, you have to go back to collect the sigil." Rickard muttered. "You have to take your place as rightful Lord of Alterwoode."

"I see." Were the only words that Malkym could force from his mouth. He took another moment, taking a deep breath before a weight settled on his shoulders. He was Lord of Alterwoode now, and his place was now back at home, not in King's Landing. He'd been gone for far too long. "I shall ask leave from the king immediately." 

He turned his back on his uncle, before locating the king. The man turned to him, as Malkym bowed his head.

 "Your Grace, I ask permission to return to Alterwoode."

"Has my daughter scared you off?"

"Not at all, Your Grace. My father passed whilst I was on tour with the princess." Malkym was not sure that he was ready for this. He thought that his father would live for longer, for years to come. He thought his father would see him married. "I ask leave to be with my family and to take up my position as Lord of Alterwoode. I will return when my position is secure."

"I am sorry." Viserys finally became serious. "Go. Take as much time as you need. We will postpone the royal wedding."

"There is no need. My father wished me married, that I will make sure of." Malkym nodded. "I will be back for the wedding."

"We will discuss more then." Viserys patted the man's shoulders, as Malkym turned away, searching for his betrothed in the crowd of people. He found her speaking to Alicent, their voices hushed.

"I apologise for the interruption, my queen. Princess, may I speak with you." Rhaenyra nodded, accepting his hand as they stepped away from Alicent. "I have to return to Alterwoode."

"What? Why?" Rhaenyra looked panicked for a moment. Malkym took a deep breath, sorrow marring his features as Rhaenyra reached for his other hand, attempting to resist the urge to tilt her betrothed's head upwards to make eye contact. "Malkym, what has happened?"

"My father has died." Rhaenyra's shoulder slumped, her eyes going wide as she stared up at him. "I have to travel home to..."

He couldn't bring himself to finish the sentence, a shuddering breath leaving his body. 

"...to receive the apple blossom sprig." Rhaenyra finished, remembering the Thorne family's tradition well, "and to become Lord of Alterwoode."

"Yes." Malkym looked up. "I wish, more than anything, that I could stay with you as we move towards our wedding, but I-"

"You have to go and be with your family, secure your lordship." Rhaenyra understood, knowing that she would face the same thing when her father died. "Do not fear for me, I will be alright."

"I always worry for you." Malkym's voice lowered. "This also means, Rhaenyra, we need to think what happens after our marriage. My place is now at Alterwoode. I have spent too long in a home that is not mine, instead of being at home."

"I know." Rhaenyra's shoulders tensed. "I know. We will think. I will make a decision. Just focus on your family and your home, I will handle the rest."

"Thank you." Malkym nodded, squeezing her hand once more, before walking away, though it pained him to do so. He was leaving one part of his heart here, but he had to go home. Rhaenyra watched his back, before squaring her shoulders, she had a job to do now, she had to work out how both of them could continue to rule their respective lands, so that neither forfeited the other.

Hiya,

So, Malkym's father's dead and he's now got to go back to Alterwoode and on top of this, Rhaenyra is not in a good place with her father either. Things are going so smoothly for the pair.

Let me know what you think,

Love Li xx