Chapter Three

𝙽𝚘 𝚂𝚝𝚛𝚊𝚗𝚐𝚎𝚛𝚜 𝙷𝚎𝚛𝚎
❀•°•═════ஓ๑♡๑ஓ═════•°•❀

⚛︎ℒ𝒾𝓁𝓁𝒾𝒶𝓃𝒶'𝓈 𝒫𝒪𝒱 ⚛︎

𝐹𝑒𝑟𝑎𝑙𝑠.

𝐹𝑢𝑐𝑘𝑖𝑛𝑔 𝐹𝑒𝑟𝑎𝑙𝑠. They may not be enough of them to form the large packs they used to almost four centuries ago, but there is still enough of them to travel in threes and fours. Anymore than that in the group and they tend to turn on each other. They are called Ferals for a reason. Savage, mindless and wild, they may have the appearance of wolves, they may have once been people, but now they are merely driven by instints. Unfortunately, they have the annoying habit of following the trail of Burned Ones hoping to pick off any weak prey that gets left behind.

𝐵𝑙𝑜𝑜𝑑𝑦 𝑛𝑖𝑔ℎ𝑡𝑚𝑎𝑟𝑒.

I plunge my sword into the neck of another beast. When I first witnessed one of the war's experiments transition into a wolf, I thought there would finally be another like me, that I wouldn't be alone.

Huddled on the cold, damp floor of my cell-where I await my next orders, my next placement- I watch as another poor, unfortunate soul is tied down against his will. It doesn't take long for them to begin the experiments and my ears are filled with the familiar anguish filled screams. I don't bother to cover my ears, knowing that the wails will find me in my mind anyway. The torture continues for hours, those responsible for the pain inflicted, don't even flinch at their own actions anymore, the war having turned them into their own version of monsters.

When they finished, they dragged the half conscious, delirious man and dropped him unceremoniously onto the stony floor of the cell adjacent to mine. Only time will tell if he is a failure, if all his suffering was for nothing.

Once my sword is free of the beast's neck, I swing it forcefully again and sever it's head. Ferals don't posses a Cinder, there are two ways to kill them, decapitation or removing their hearts from their chests. Another wolf-like creature leaps at me snarling, I jump and roll out of it's path. Springing to my feet-eyes glowing ice blue- I send my dagger, that I dropped moments ago, towards the attacking Feral with a flick of my hand. The blade impales the beast through it's eye. It yowls.

A sharp 'snap' has my head rapidly twisting in the direction of my neighbours cell. If I hadn't been able to hear the sluggish beat of his heart, I'd have thought him dead. Now there's movement, accompanied by a low groaning.

Snap. Twist. Pop. A muted cry of agony.

I know those sounds. The sounds of bones breaking and reshifting. This cannot be. No other, before or after me, has ever successfully made it through the experiments. I cautiously shuffle on my hands and knees towards that which has me entranced. I grip the bars, pressing my face between them, anticipation flooding my body.

Another pain filled groan and the man rolls, giving me an unobstructed view of his blood shot eyes. There seems to be more clarity in his gaze, his delirium appearing to have disappeared since he was abandoned in his cell by the boffins many hours ago. Our jailers have yet to return.