And They Never Knew

Before we start this chapter I just want to let you guys know that in some songs that I listen to in some parts and share so you can listen, the lyrics sometimes hint at something that will happen in the future or hint at something of the past of the characters, so when listening to the lyrics pay attention to see if you can figure out the hints! This won't happen with every song btw

Narrator's POV

Steve didn't follow Y/n, he let her walk away, he just stood there, he knew he couldn't explain anything, the truth was that he was a horrible person who had said and done awful things, he knew this, but he also wanted to change, he wanted to be better, for himself, for Y/n, so that she might not hate him any more than she probably already does. He wanted to be good, he wanted someone to be around him not because he was popular, or because it was convenient to them, but because they enjoyed his company.

So he turned around and walked to the cinema, if he was going to be better he had to start by fixing what he did, change is not an easy thing after all, but he was willing to try as hard as he needed to in order to redeem himself, he wasn't going to end up being his father's son, he wasn't going to make his same mistakes, he was going to be different.

~

Y/n walked into Melvald's store, she wasn't sure where else to go really, she kind of just wanted to go home, she tried to make herself forget what had happened last night with Steve, she wanted to erase the good memory she had with Steve, she felt like she couldn't have that memory of him, not after what had happened. She wanted to hate Steve, and she did hate him, but at the same time she didn't hate him, she didn't know why but she couldn't.

"Hey Y/n," Mr Melvald says walking up to her, "How can I help you today?"

"I'm just looking around, thanks Mr Melvald," She tells him walking around the shop, she takes a seat at a chair that he always conveniently leaves at the corner of the store, he noticed she came here a lot before her dad and just looked around so he started putting that chair so she could at least sit down while she waits for him.

"Y/n" she looked to her right to see Bob Newby.

Bob and her dad had been friends for a long time, they even founded the Hawkins AV club together, they were extremely good friends and Bob had been around Y/n so much as she grew up that she basically saw him as her uncle. He was someone she could always confide in, if she had a problem or needed someone to talk to aside from her dad she knew she could just pick up her phone and call Bob.

"You okay?" he asked walking up to her.

"I'm just, angry and disappointed and for some stupid reason kind of sad," she confesses.

"What happened?" he asked sitting down next to her.

"You know Steve Harrington? Or at least his parents?" she asked him, hoping she wouldn't have to give too much context to the situation.

"Yeah I've heard of him," He says nodding, "He and his family are pretty popular around Hawkins, what happened with him? Were you dating?" Y/n chuckles at Bob's comment shaking her head.

"God, no, no, nothing like that, we were just friends I guess, he helped me out yesterday but today I found out something he did and I just- I thought he was a good person you know? I thought that all those things people said about him were just rumours, or that at least he could change, but then he went around and did this thing and it was so horrible you know" she tells him and he nods.
"I bumped into him and shouted at him for everything he had said and done, but it didn't make me feel better, he's always been nice to me, I had a nice chat with him yesterday and a couple of hours later I'm supposed to just completely hate him, it seems impossible," she says looking down, "He tried to explain himself you know, but I didn't want to hear to what he had to say"