Midnight With You

Start from the beginning

His thrusts grew rapid, he moved in a primitive way, his sounds guttural. Eli moaned his name, "Lucius, Lucius, Lucius," until she felt the vibrations of her orgasm, ricocheting throughout her body. 

Almost simultaneously, Lucius came, his cry primal. 

He leaned on top of her, coming out of her slowly. Their breaths were quick and they held onto each other. 

"Lucius," Eli whispered. 

Suddenly, they heard a chorus of singing voices filling the halls, counting down.

"A minute to midnight," Lucius announced, looking at Eli. He kissed her lips tenderly. 

As the chorus got to 30, the door to the room flew open. 

"Oh thank God," Claire said, charging into the room. 

"Claire!" Eli shouted. "What the fuck!" Eli quickly lifted her dress, hiding her bare breasts. She closed her legs as Lucius moved, his back to Claire, and zipped up his pants. 

"Do you know how many doors I had to open to find you?" Claire said urgently. "How many things I saw?" 

"Claire!" Eli repeated, as if her friend didn't understand what she had walked in on.

"Put your underwear on, Eli, we have to go," Claire said, pushing Eli's underwear with the toe of her shoe. 

Eli jumped off the dresser and did as she was told. "Can you tell me what the fuck is going on?"

Claire looked at Lucius. "Your wife is looking for you. Something about ringing in the new year together." Claire observed his disheveled hair. "Oh, and she's asked like a billion staff to search for you so you are very lucky I found you first." 

"How do you know this?" Eli asked as she heard the chorus chant one and erupt in shouts and applause. 

"Because she saw him talking to us and approached me," Claire said. "Look, I could spend five minutes explaining to you everything that unfolded 10 minutes ago, but I assume she'll find you pretty soon. So we need to go." 

Claire grabbed her friend's wrist but hurried footsteps approached and the door creaked open. It was too late. Lucius withdrew his wand in one quick movement, waved it to the two girls as Narcissa stepped into the room. 

Eli watched his wife in horror as she looked her husband up and down.

"Lucius," Narcissa said, "what are you doing here?" 

Eli looked at Narcissa, taking a careful step toward her. Narcissa paid no attention to Eli or Claire, as if she didn't see them.

Eli turned to look at Claire, realization dawning on her. Lucius had made them temporarily invisible. Eli looked back to Lucius, his face flustered, but otherwise calm. She wondered how long his quickly casted spell would last. 

"I was looking for you," Lucius said. 

"Looking for me?" Narcissa asked. "I've been looking for you for the last 15 minutes." 

Eli looked back at her friend and pressed a finger to her lips, urging her to keep quiet. Claire gave her a look as if to say duh

"How ironic," Lucius said, a smile on his swollen lips. 

"Lucius, your hair," Narcissa said, her mouth a straight line. 

"What about it?" 

"You can't go back looking like that." Narcissa gripped her husband, turning him toward the mirror that lay beyond Eli and Claire. 

Eli looked toward the door, which was slightly ajar, the gap not big enough to fit through. 

Eli looked back at the couple. Narcissa was combing through Lucius's hair with her fingers. 

"Gentle, dear," Lucius said as Narcissa pulled at a knot. 

"I don't even want to know what you've been doing tonight to look like this," she said, her touch aggressive. 

"It must have been during the party," Lucius said. "There were so many people, I believe I got tossed around slightly." 

Narcissa seemed to freeze, her movements slowed. "I want to believe you." 

Lucius turned to face her, his hand in the small of her back. "Then believe me, dear. Because that is the truth. I would never lie to you." 

"It's just..." Narcissa said, barely above a whisper. "You've been gone a lot lately. It's hard." Her voice was pained, she sounded unbelievably sad and Eli's heart felt like it fell to her stomach. 

"Let me make it up to you," Lucius said. "Anything you want."

Narcissa laughed softly. "I just want you." 

"You've got me," Lucius replied. "I believe I forgot to tell you happy New Year's." 

"Happy New Year's, dear," Narcissa said.

The couple kissed softly and Eli looked away, tears burning her eyes. 

Narcissa eventually broke apart. "Should we skip the rest of the party? I'm sure our guests won't miss us." She played with Lucius's shirt, toying with the top button. 

Eli started to feel sick. 

"Maybe some other time, dear," Lucius said gently. "I do not think it would be wise to not say goodbye to our guests." 

Narcissa's hands dropped, her smile falling from her lips. She took a step away from her husband. "Why don't you ever want me anymore?" Her voice cracked, her eyes pierced through her husband. "Am I not attractive to you anymore? Or is there somebody else?" 

"Narcissa, please, none of that is true." Lucius took a step toward his wife.

"Don't," she said as she straightened out her green dress. "Whatever it is you're hiding from me, Lucius, you will stop immediately." 

She turned on her heels before waiting for an answer and left. Eli watched her leave, frozen in place.

Claire put a gentle hand on Eli's arm, tugging slightly. 

"We need to go," Claire said. 

Eli allowed her friend to pull her away, lead her outside, where they apparated into Claire's bedroom. Eli fell onto the bed and wept.