Chapter 1 - Fortune Favors The Bold

Author's Note: Who's ready for round 2!? Welcome to our Man's World spin off! If you haven't read Man's World, thats absolutely fine - this story doesn't require it!

 ********
2024 Season – Last Race Before Summer Break

*Flashbacks

As I stared over at the window, watching the rain fall down, I heard a knock on my hotel room door.

"Lily – you have a moment?" the voice called out. I perked my head up – where did I know that voice from? When I opened the door I couldn't believe the sight in front of my eyes – there was Toto Wolff, impeccably dressed in his Mercedes garb as usual.

"If you're looking for the Bugatti F1 team secrets, Toto – they won't give them to me until I sign another contract with them," I half joked, motioning for him to enter the little living room area in my hotel room. Toto just let out a light laugh, no doubt understanding my subtle hint that I was still a free agent, as he took a seat at my sofa, signaling for me to take a seat next to him. , I still hadn't signed another contract with the Bugatti F1 team, but time was running out and Isabelle would want an answer soon, before she started to engage other drivers. I knew she had already tested two additional female drivers last week.

"Tea or coffee?"

"No, thank you – this won't be long." Toto's words made my heart slightly drop. It was no secret that I was clamoring for a seat at Mercedes; Lewis had to be retiring soon, and as a Mercedes-AMG academy driver, I knew I had to be in the running for the seat. I tried to hide the disappointment on my face as I finished seeping my tea, but I had never been the best actress. Toto let a small grin form on his face at my clear disappointment, but still said nothing, waiting for me to take a seat.

"I assume you know why I'm here?"

"Should I?" Toto kept the sly grin on his face as he observed me sipping my tea, my eyes still meeting his with the same ferocity and annoyance he was giving me.

"Tomorrow after the race Lewis is going to announce his retirement this year..."

"Yes, I'll do it!" Toto let out a chuckle at my enthusiasm. My manager would be annoyed, apparently you should never look too excited – less they offer you a lower salary because they think you're too interested – but I didn't care. This was my fucking seat.

I'd earned it, earned my spot at Mercedes. I had earned a chance to go to a male dominated team, a chance to show them that I could compete at any team, at any level.

"Oh good... we need a new communications manager," Toto joked.

"Fuck off, Toto – where do I sign?"

"We've already spoken to your manager, we'll get the paperwork sorted this week and we'll announce you after the summer break. I've spoken to Isabelle and she's aware that I am making you an offer to drive for Mercedes next year." I took a moment to contemplate his words, reminding myself why I wanted to leave Bugatti in the first place.

"I won't be the second place driver, I don't care that George Russell is established."

"We aren't asking you to be the second place driver. Everyone at Mercedes-AMG has to earn their spot, including the drivers. We'll let you two decide who is second place based on next season's results. We'll let you two race, as long as it doesn't jeopardize needed constructor's points."

"So, sounds like Britcedes is continuing then." Toto rolled his eyes at that one, the Austrian hated that the fans called them Britcedes, but as George Russell often reminded him, he had dug his own grave on that one.