I: have a lovely night

LIANA SAID goodbye to her friend Julian who had stopped by her workplace to get some food for the kids he was babysitting.

She'd had an extra long shift at Five Guys and was just ready to go home. Thankfully, her co-workers were all around the same age as her, so they had spent most of the shift goofing off, but there were still a few customers who were just plain exhausting.

There were still loads of people around, even though it was nearly the end of the day, and the loud noise and voices were giving her a headache.

She was standing at the counter when a boy and girl came up. They look cute together, Lia thought, but then instantly cringed. The boy looked her age, 17, while the girl looked much younger, probably only somewhere around 13.

"Can we please have three BLT's, two Grilled Cheese sandwiches, one Hamburger," the boy was looking down at his phone as he told her their order. "Five Cokes and one water, please?"

"That's a lot of food," Liana laughed and guessed that thy probably had friends or family waiting outside for them. She couldn't blame them for wanting to stay out, it was a super-hot day and with so many people in the store, it was really stuffy. "That'll be $49.29 thank you."

The boy handed the girl his card and took a proper look at the girl in front of him, "You're really pretty. Like, the prettiest girl I've ever seen."

"Aw thanks," she tapped the card on the scanner and handed it back to him. "You're really pretty too." She laughed. She didn't rally know if boys liked being called "pretty", but it was her favourite compliment to receive so she figured someone else would feel the same.

"Do you have a boyfriend?"

"Yeah, I do." Liana smiled softly. She had been trying not to think about her super-toxic-maybe-ex-boyfriend as they had been going through a rough patch. She had caught him talking to other girls, but was too scared to address it, as she didn't want to be alone again.

"Oh well," the boy looked at his friend, suddenly realising how awkward and random her was being. "He's super lucky."

He walked to the far end of the bench, waiting to collect their order. The girl stayed behind and smiled at Lia.

"I'm sorry about him," they looked over at the boy. "He's super desperate. You really are gorgeous, though"

"Oh my god, you are too," the girls thanked each other. "My name's Liana."

"Madeleine."

"Maddy," the boy called out to her, and they saw that he had already collected their food. "Brady's blowing up my phone, we gotta go,"

"Hey um," Madeleine looked back at her friend and shooed him away. "What's your number, you're probably way older than me, but maybe we'll see each other around?"

"Yeah, of course," Lia took the pen out from her ponytail and scribbled her number on a napkin. Even though they were clearly very different in age, Madeleine looked like she would be going into high school next year or the year after that, and she knew it was nice to have an older friend looking out for you. "Have a lovely night" Liana recited, mimicking one of the many saying her manager had suggested she say.

She looked at the time and smiled when she saw that her shift was over. She said goodbye to Tyler and Samuel who were the co-workers she had been joking around with all day, and then to Charlotte, the new girl who was only just getting the hang of things.

"You did great today, Charlie."

"Thanks Lia, have a lovely night."

lacey's bookstore

612 words - lowkey proud of myself

also if there are any words u don't recognize, it's because i'm australian and can't be bothered to look up american slang...

i slayed idc what u say