Chapter 79 - High Hopes

Start from the beginning

"Scott." Natasha interrupted. "I get emails from a raccoon, so, nothing sounds crazy anymore."

Keira couldn't help but agree and held up a hand, counting on her fingers as she spoke. "Yeah, and let's not forget about mutants, aliens from outer space, evil robots, and oh, the Norse gods that have proven to be real. Time travel will just be another walk in the park." She chuckled and shook her head.

Yeah, it was crazy to think about the things they had experienced during the years.

Scott's gaze wandered between all three of them. "So, who do we talk to about this?"

Keira glanced at Natasha, who was already looking at her, a knowing glint in her eyes. They both thought of the same person, and he probably wouldn't be too impressed when they turned up on his doorstep with a request like this.

Steve looked deep in thought, still trying to wrap his mind around the fact that time travel was even a real possibility, while Scott just seemed lost, not understanding the silent conversation the two women were so clearly having.

"Steve, catch!" Keira pulled up her car keys from her pocket and threw them at the supersoldier, who caught them midair with a confused look on his face. "And don't look at me like that, Tasha. We both know I don't trust your driving skills." She added with a laugh when she spotted the redhead's slightly offended frown at not being handed the keys. Her knees cracked when she stood up, finally daring to release her hold on Nikato, who still hadn't looked away from Scott once.

The man in question had crouched down slightly, his hand outstretched in front of him. "Nice doggie." He whispered weakly as the Kangal stalked closer to him with slightly stiff legs. He didn't dare to move an inch as his hand was being sniffed, but deemed it safe to get back up when Nikato gave a little snort and returned to Keira. "Don't think he likes me very much..."

The disappointment was clear as day in his voice, and Keira placed a hand on his shoulder. "Give him time, Scotty. He'll learn to love you too, trust me."

Steve was still looking perplexed, glancing between the car keys in his hand and Keira. "To where am I driving exactly?"

"Tony's."

The gravel crunched loudly under the tires as the car rolled onto the driveway, waking Keira from her slumber. A lazy smile stretched her lips at the sight of the cozy cabin and she hid a big yawn behind her hand.

Being stuffed between Scott and Nikato in the backseat wasn't the most comfortable, but since her car didn't have a trunk big enough for the dog, strapping him in with a seatbelt it was.

It was lucky Nikato made such a great pillow, something he had proved on multiple occasions before, or Keira might've complained about the injustice of not having automatic shotgun, as it was her car they were using.

Tony, who had been strolling towards the cabin with a soft smile on his face, Morgan in his arms, slowly stopped at the sight of them stepping out of the car. The relaxed expression on his face faded and he gave a curt nod in Natasha's direction, who greeted him silently back.

If there was one who didn't seem to notice the slight tension that hung in the air, it was Morgan. She was squirming in her father's arms, trying to get back down to the ground. "Daddy, look! It's Irah and Kato!"

To avoid risking that his daughter would fall out of his grasp, Tony gently put her down and her small legs started to run before she even touched the ground. No matter his conflicting feelings about seeing the group, he couldn't suppress the smile that tugged on his lips at his daughter's pure joy.