In realization, Ester's eyes widened. "I see. Then, L/n would be..."

She nodded with a smile, already knowing what she meant. "That's right."

"Well then, the first order of business. I know it's something that's flown around and, quite frankly, everyone must have already expected this. But, I am here to make a formal and official announcement."

At those words, everyone became more attentive, awaiting whatever news would be given. Though, most already had an idea of what the announcement would be. Still, it felt a bit unreal.

"As of today, I'll be stepping down as the head of the bureau."

It was official now. The staff all looked on, feeling joyous yet bitter. On one hand, the bureau had always operated under the older L/n, with the exception of a month-long departure. He was a lively old man with an easy-going attitude that treated everyone like family.

But on the other hand, the younger L/n was also a very capable boss. He held onto a professional attitude and showed everyone the same level of respect he expected in return.

Not only was he understanding of everyone's wants and needs, but he also treated those around him like old friends. If no one else, he was more than willing to listen to their concerns and provide them with solutions. No constructive criticism went unheard.

"Now, that doesn't mean I won't be around anymore. I'll definitely come and visit! But this old man can't work like he used to," he said. "So, as I know you all expected, I'm being replaced by your current boss."

The old man pat M/n's shoulder and looked back at the sea of people. "Your boss here not only took care of his own responsibilities as a department head, but he also assumed mine and executed them as I knew he would."

M/n's eyes widened. He hadn't anticipated that his grandfather would mention his undertakings to the staff, with the exception of the announcement of course.

"On top of all that, he's made it his priority to ensure everyone is comfortable in the workplace, all while handling his own case. If he's not fit for the job, I don't know who is. And so, M/n is now officially the head of the bureau. Please treat him as you have, if not better."

At that, everyone erupted into congratulative cheers and praise to which M/n didn't know how to react. His grandfather chuckled at his state, knowing full well M/n wasn't good with compliments and praise. But he felt that after everything the (h/c)-ette had done, he deserved to have his accomplishments and undertakings acknowledged.

Having been caught off guard, M/n shook his head and resumed his professional attitude. He bowed his head to everyone. "Thank you for this opportunity."

His grandfather let out a hearty laugh, catching everyone's attention once more. "Well then, to celebrate my retirement and M/n's ownership, I'm treating you all to dinner!"

That seemed to bring the mood up even more. Everyone's energy went up tenfold and began cheering amongst each other, already anticipating the evening. Faintly, M/n heard his phone buzz in his pocket.

He grabbed it and looked down at the caller ID. Judging it as important, M/n tapped the old man's shoulder. "I have to take this."

His grandfather nodded. "Go right ahead!"

M/n excused himself and left the room. Once he was in an empty hallway, he answered the phone call. "Hello? L/n speaking."

"Mr. L/n," the voice on the other line spoke. "I'm Mr. Ackerman, father of Levi."

M/n nodded, having slightly recognized the voice but couldn't attach a name to it. "Ah. Mr. Ackerman. Good morning, how can I help you?"

"Is it possible to meet with you today? Or tomorrow, if you're busy."

The (h/c)-ette took a second to recall the day's schedule. It would be a tight squeeze, but now he wondered if the matter was urgent. "What would you like to meet about?"

"Levi was talking to his mother and I about his thoughts on filing for divorce. He told us he'd been thinking about it and finally decided that he wanted to go through with it, but he wanted your input too."

"I see," M/n responded. "I would be available to talk for a short while around noon, but if he wants to really sit down and discuss the details, tomorrow would be a better date."

"Alright. Could I call you back once I get an answer from him?"

"Of course. Just let me know before noon."

"Great. Thank you very much!"

"My pleasure," the (h/c)-ette replied before they bid their goodbyes and hung up.

He was about to return to the meeting room when he heard someone call out to him. He turned his head and saw one of the secretaries. "Excuse me, Mr. L/n, but there's someone down at the lobby looking for you."

"A client?"

They shook their head. "No, sir. It's a kid."

--

M/n stepped out of the elevator and made his way into the lobby. Immediately, his gaze went to the front desk personnel that were standing around. They seemed to have heard his footsteps as they turned in his direction.

His gaze drifted down to the small boy next to them, who held a familiar card in his hand. The boy seemed to be comforted by the sight of a familiar face.

"Eren? What are you doing here?"

"It seemed he was trying to escape this group of older kids," one of the staff said. "He came in and showed us your card, saying he knew you."

M/n turned his gaze back to Eren and bent down, giving him a sympathetic look before seeing a bunch of small bruises trailing up his arms and legs. "What happened?"

Eren cast his gaze down, clutching the card tightly in his hand. M/n could sense his hesitancy to speak and motioned for the staff to give him some space. They understood and returned to their posts, leaving M/n with Eren.

"It's okay. Take your time, it's alright."

Eren unclenched his fists and opened his mouth to speak. "They were bullying me again... They kept chasing me after I hit them back... Then I saw this big building."

The boy then showed M/n the card in his hand. Eren had seen the sign out front and put two together that perhaps M/n would be there. It'd also serve as a sort of refuge from his bullies' harassment.

"I see," the (h/c)-ette replied.

He seemed to be thinking about something, as his eyebrows furrowed. He bit the inside of his cheek, wondering if what he was about to do was a good decision. After a bit, he settled on something.

M/n stood up and motioned toward the boy. "Come on. There are some snacks that you can have up here."

Eren looked toward where M/n pointed and saw a coffee bar with a huge selection of snacks beside it. When the (h/c)-ette motioned that it was okay, Eren helped himself to whatever he wanted. M/n then turned to the front desk.

"Get me the number for that orphanage," he said. "I've had just about enough."

"Yes, sir," they nodded.

"Those bunch of incompetent fools..."