18 - AFTER

"This doesn't feel right

"This doesn't feel right." Jay mumbled under his breath as his large hands worked on his collar. Hailey, who stood in front of him working on his tie, looked at him with a frown on her face.

"What?" She questioned, unsure what he meant.

"We are being congratulated for taking down terrorists, by those who failed to catch them."

"Take it as a thank you." Hailey joked, taping his chest to signal she was done. He took a step back and playfully rolled his eyes.

"They shouldn't congratulate us, they should take all this time and money and use it to change the way things work. Sam should've been protected and they should've been caught before they even stepped foot in here." Jay angrily spoke through gritted teeth and Hailey knew the anger wasn't directed at her. Plus, she agreed with him - it was all a little too much.

"I agree with you, Jay. I don't really like this either but we still gotta go." Ever since the case closed, Jay hadn't really been the same. He wasn't back into old habits, but Hailey could tell he wasn't as happy as before.

She felt like it had something to do with Sam leaving. Hailey and Mouse had found out that Sam was given a choice - either she could stay here or she could leave and move anywhere she'd like. All expenses paid by those who failed her. She chose to leave.

Jay found out the hard way, he was recently visiting his brother who had just bought a house in their old neighbourhood and was waved over by a neighbour. A woman he had never seen before.

"Hi, I'm so sorry to just call you over like that." The woman chuckled, approaching Jay slowly. "Are you Jay Halstead?"

Jay was taken by surprise, "Uh, yes I am." He smiled, offering his hand.

She gently shook it, a soft smile appearing on her lips. "Hi! I'm Pamela Johnson, Sam's mom. She showed me some pictures of you, so when I saw you across the street I had to know if it really was you." Pamela laughed lightly, taking a second to look him over. He truly was an handsome man - would've been perfect for her daughter.

"It's very nice to meet you, Miss Johnson. I had no idea you lived in the neighbourhood." Jay nicely spoke, feeling a little nervous about meeting the woman for the first time. He had been with Sam for years when they were in the army, yet he had never spoken or seen anyone from her family. It was nerve wrecking.

"I just moved here. Since Sam left, I needed some familiarity in Chicago so I bought a house in a lovely neighbourhood." She smiled, unknowingly informing him that Sam truly wasn't in Chicago anymore. He had his suspicions that she had left, since he had not spoken to her in days, but nothing was confirmed.