Chapter 22

"General Mahamatra? You!?"

It's been a year since you and Cyno had started dating. You were now 17 while he was 18. 

Surprisingly, no one was shocked when Cyno told them the news. Tighnari simply rolled his eyes and continued on with his day while Collei hid behind a workbench and listened in on the conversation. She was still scared of Cyno. 

It wasn't hard adjusting to a relationship life at all, you and Cyno were basically doing the same thing beforehand minus the label. On the outside he might seem like an intimidating wolf but on the inside he's the most adorable little puppy. 

"The academia offered me the position. So I took it." Cyno replied bluntly. 

You grin at him as you take his headpiece off, ushering him inside. "Well congratulations that's great news!"

The scholar nods in agreement before sitting down on the couch. You don't waste a second before bringing the book he's reading over to him, and seating yourself beside him. Cyno takes the book with his right hand and wraps his other hand around you. 

"Do you want to go out to celebrate your new position?" You offer, leaning your head on his chest to read along with him. 

Cyno shakes his head, flipping the page as he gives you a gentle kiss on the forehead. The smile on his face was not missed by you. "It's alright, it's not a big deal." 

"Not a big deal?" You gasp dramatically, "this is like... one of the highest positions in Sumeru."

"Not a big deal."

"Yes a big deal!"

Your boyfriend only sighs in defeat. "Whatever you want."

"How about we make a trip to Grandaraville? I'm sure Tighnari's ears will flip inside out once he hears the news!" You offer with a mischievous smile.

Cyno looks at you before matching your expression. Messing with Tighnari is no doubt, an enjoyable activity. 

Treading through the rainforest wasn't something you enjoyed. The air was much more humid than the ones you were used to, and the bugs constantly flying around leaves you paranoid. After convincing Cyno to carry you across the muddiest parts, you finally made it to the small village. 

The smile on Collei's face was something that needed to be pictured and recorded down. You let out a squeal as you run up to her, giving her the biggest hug ever. 

"How have you been?' You ask, pulling away and clasping your hands together. 

"My training's been going well." The green-haired girl replied. "Master says I'm almost ready to go on patrols!" 

"Really? Good for you!" 

"What about you Y/N?" She questions, "what brings you to Grandaraville?"

You let out a mischievous smile before motioning her to come closer, whispering the events of what happened earlier that day to Collei. The girl's eyes widen with surprise as she mumbles a congratulations. 

"Master's going to freak out once he hears the news." 

"I know! That's the whole point!" You squeal, grinning as you clap ur hands together. "Cyno wanted to go say hi to him, I told him not tell Tighnari the news until I get there." 

"Wow I can't wait to see his reaction."

"Me too!" You laugh, "Why don't I help you finish your last task and we can go see his face drop together?" 

"You'll do that for me?" Collei gasps. 

"Of course!" 

Cyno tried his hardest to think of a good joke on his way to Tighnari's room. It didn't really work though, he seemed to be out of ideas for once.

"Come in." He hears his friend say, no doubt he'd be filling in all his paper works at this hour.

"What can I help you with Cyno?" Tighnari asks. 

"Y/N and I have some important news we wanted to share with you, she wanted to get Collei first though so I decided to come here by myself first." The scholar replies, closing the door behind him and taking off his cloak. 

Tighnari slowly sets the pen down, looking Cyno up and down as he puts his cloak on the hanger. The fox pauses for a moment before opening his mouth and closing it again. 

"Why are you looking at me like that?" Cyno questions, raising an eyebrow. 

More staring at silence follows after that question.

Tighnari tried so hard to hold the question in, if it was really what he thought then he'd ruin the announcement by asking the question. Nevertheless, his personality took over and he blurted out the burning inquiry.

"Is Y/N pregnant?" 

"..." 

Silence follows.

And then more silence.

And then Cyno erupts. 

"NO-" He begins, "How do you even-, I, I don't even know what's, my god what is wROng with you Tighnari." As if trying to hold a hot potato, his words come out as a jumble of messes. 

The forest watcher only nods as he watches his friend struggle to breathe. 

"We haven't even gotten to that stage yet- you know what... never mind."

Tighnari nods once again, smiling menacingly before picking his pen up again. 

"How did you even come up with such a question." 

"I was being logical." Tighnari answers.

"That was the most illogical conclusion I've ever heard you make." Cyno retorts.  "We're not even... at that stage of our relationship yet.."

"Loser."

"What did you just call me?!"

"Alright alright I get it, you're too much of a chicken." Tighnari sighs, pulling his ears down to try and reduce noise.

As soon as Tighnari finishes his sentence, you waltz into the room with Collei falling behind her. Cyno gives Collei a nod which she smiles nervously back at. 

"Tighnari we have big news to share~" You sing while Cyno cringes at how that did indeed, sound like a pregnancy announcement. 

Trying to make the scene as dramatic as possible, you do a little spin before gesturing at Cyno. "This guy just got promoted to General Mahamatra! Can you believe it?!" 

You giggle and Collei joins you, Tighnari raises an eyebrow at Cyno which he stares back with a "please play along" look.

"oH mY I nEver wouDl've guEsseD-" The fox says sarcastically. "General Mahamatra?' Another dramatic gasp follows as Tighnari tries to hold in his amusement. "I guess he met the height requirement." 

The room erupted into laughter.

Fun facts: 

- Tighnari and Y/N vibe well together. One of them yells at people and the other yells at Cyno. 

- Y/N tried to teach Tighnari how to smack people with his tail.