"Because it wasn't your battle, it was mine. I understand you're my parent but this was something that I needed to handle on my own. After all, you guys won't be around to hold my hand forever, right?" Luvie turned around to face her mother, who was beginning to grimace.

         "But you were only fourteen, Sioni. As far as I'm concerned, this was something I damn sure would have held your hand through and stopped at nothing until the end results were in your favor. I'm glad you fought for that on your own and you wanted to have your independence but just remember, no matter how older you get—you're still our child and we'll always be ten toes behind you," Candice gently cupped her face, speaking in a stern tone.

         Candice let go of her face and beckoned her. "Come here, give me a hug," she said. Luvie reached in to give her a hug, Candice kissing the side of her face a few times. "I mean it, Sioni, I'm so proud of you. And I'm sure your uncle Richie is damn proud of you too,"

        "You think so?"

        "I know so, girl. I can hear him now, 'that's my Nini Pop, she got the smarts from me'. His cocky ass," Candice mocked him, playfully rolling her eyes as Luvie started to crack up.

        "I think out of all the nicknames I have, his was the most ridiculous," Luvie stood up, stretching her upper body. "Are you finished?" She pointed toward her hair.

      "Yeah, I'm done. I think you should wear your hair down today, it looks pretty. Slick your baby hairs down,"

     "Okay," Luvie said, grabbing the oil and rat tail comb to put it back.

        After Luvie was done finishing the rest of her hair, she threw a scarf on to lay down her baby hairs for the remaining time she'd be over her friends house.

       She told her mom she'd be next door and locked the door behind her before she made the short walk to Tyra and Faven's house.

      She knocked on the door and waited a minute, until she heard the lock being turned and opened shortly afterwards. "Hey pooh," Tyra greeted her, letting her in.

      "Hey," Luvie replied before walking toward the living room. Faven, Sacha and the guys were lounging around, on their phones or watching what was on TV.

       Luvie immediately turned around and walked back toward the front door, Tyra holding her arms out in confusion. "Woah, what's wrong?" she asked her friend.

       "You didn't tell me that others would be here, we'll just hang out later," Luvie shrugged, beginning to walk around her. "Tell Faven and Sacha, I'll see them later,"

       "Sioni," Tyra softly called her, backing up and continuing to hold her hands out to stop her. "I didn't know that you were going to have a problem wit' them being here, otherwise we wouldn't have invited them too. Why didn't you tell me pooh? I'm sorry,"

       "It's not your fault, I should've said something before I came over—but I don't want you to feel like you have to choose sides between your friends. Really, Tyra, it's okay—we can hang out another time." Luvie reached in to give Tyra a reassuring hug. She then pulled away and reached for the front door, walking out.

       Tyra grimaced as Luvie shut the door behind her. She huffed and locked the door before walking back toward the living room, Faven and Sacha now pulling their attention away from each other as they held a conversation.

       "Where's Sioni? That's who was at the door, right?" Faven questioned her sister, pointing toward the front of the house. Tyra hummed in response, cutting her eyes over at Asantè, who had been quiet since he arrived.