[005] SUBJECT TO CHANGE

IWAIZUMI HAJIME IS BEAUTIFUL, he is rough and often harsh in his wording — but you can't help but admire the gentleness of the sun against his tanned skin.

quiet breaths leave his mouth while he sleeps, your eyes catching the slow rise and fall of his chest from beneath your hand.

his brow furrows even as he rests, lip twitching in response to whatever it was that he was dreaming about.

you softly run your hand along his cheeks, fingertips skimming across his sun kissed cheekbones that seemed to be littered in light freckles, almost too faint to be seen if you weren't looking hard enough

he unknowingly sighs at the action, the crease in his brow loosening as he relaxes under your touch

you didn't think that he'd be the type of guy that you'd put the word 'pretty' to, but as his eyes groggily blink open and you catch the flash of honeyed brown; you're certain that the word was perfect for him.

"morning" you whisper, almost scared to loudly and scare him away, but you're met with a content looking smile, tired eyes squinting into a grin as he hums his own greeting back to you "g'morning" he pulls you closer, your head now resting on his shoulder as he nuzzles into your hair.

thinking back to your conversation from the night before, you wonder if this is how the two of you 'had always been' — the answer is obvious, but you surprisingly don't mind the change.

his fingers lazily stroke against your arm, the sensation leaving goosebumps littered across your skin in his wake.

"you feeling alright?" he asks, and you let out a happy sigh in reply, head nodding "are you?" he chuckles at the question, and you feel the vibration of it from under your palm.

"yeahh" he drawls, lifting your head from where it rested so that he could tilt your chin to look up at him. "i'm just peachy" he grins at you, nose gently bumping against your own as he brings you up for a soft kiss,

your body practically buzzes at the feeling, a warm sense of comfort blanketing over you as your lips slot effortlessly against his own.

huffing a quiet laugh through your nose as you pull away, you can't help the beaming smile that tugs at your lips, cheeks slightly rosy as you take him in once again

he really was gorgeous, and you weren't sure as to how you hadn't noticed it before, the insistent longing you had felt for his skilled setter of a best friend likely overshadowing him, making it so that you were unaware to his charm

whatever it was that had stopped you from noticing him before, you were certainly glad that it was out of the way now.

you're momentarily struck by the speculation of what life may have been like if you had never been 'in love' with oikawa, that instead of stubbornly yearning for the boy you were convinced that you were smitten with, you had instead fallen for the brash, hard headed boy who was always beside him.

the one who you had stuck your nose up at when he had questioned if you wanted to join him to go bug hunting when you were both young, his gap toothed grin turning into a scowl as you made some comment of disgust and warned him not to come near you again.

that was one of the first of many smiles that iwaizumi had given you in your time of knowing him, and yet none quite matched the one he was giving you right now

and just for a second, you found yourself awestruck. never before had you seen an expression quite like it cross iwaizumi's features

throughout the many years of existing within the same friend group, you had grown familiar with his different expressions at the least.