Chapter 2: My Friend

Severus stood in his parlor nervously. He hadn't apparated in a long time, he wasn't sure where he'd land. He took a deep breath, holding the handle of his luggage firmly, then with a blink of an eye, he was gone. He landed hard on cold, wet cobblestone. Getting his bearings, he stood slowly. As he looked around he realized where he was Hogsmead. Severus adjusted his cloak and began to walk, with luggage in hand, up the stone path to the front courtyard of Hogwarts. When he reached the large gates, he noticed a large metal lock hanging from the rusted metal bars. Severus felt a pit forming in his stomach. He hadn't taken much thought of what he would say when he saw Minerva. He stood firmly in his spot, unsheathing his wand from his cloak. He swirled the wand gently and uttered an incantation. 

"Alohamora!" The gate creaked as the large lock unhinged itself and dropped to the ground. Severus felt a wave of relief wash over him. He was expecting the gate to deflect the incantation and send him stumbling backwards. He was relieved that hadn't been the case. He charmed his luggage to follow him and proceeded up the stone walkway to the main door of Hogwarts. When he reached them, they opened, almost as if welcoming him home. Students gawked and whispered as they noticed Severus making his way into the castle. He ignored them as continued to the Headmaster's office. His luggage dropped to the floor as he stood at the large entrance, the large golden eagle towering above him. It made him think of Dumbledore and how the old fool always greeted him with some strange sweet. Severus almost chuckled to himself, but was interrupted by the door opening, revealing the spiral staircase. Severus slowly made his way up them, taking note to breathe fully. He was finding it hard to keep himself unanxious. When he reached the top of the stairs, the door to the headmaster's office was open. 

"Come in, Severus." A voice spoke from within the office. Severus stepped cautiously into the office, struggling to lift his gaze from the floor. The woman walked towards him, chuckling lightly. "Severus, is this how you greet an old friend?" His eyes snapped to hers and he quickly noticed her smile. He sighed and smiled softly. 

"Minerva, I don't know how to-" He was interrupted by Minerva's arms enveloping him in an embrace. He hugged her back, feeling himself relax entirely. He had missed his friend. Minerva ushered him to sit and had poured them both a cup of tea. Minerva spoke of her time rebuilding the school and bringing back the student population. Severus knew Minerva had been the heart of Hogwarts all along. He was glad she had been the one to bring the school back to life. Severus had spent many years punishing himself for how he had been during the war - though it almost cost him his own life. Minerva watched as Severus became lost in his own thoughts. 

"Severus, I forgive you for what happened. Please believe that I am truly happy to see you alive. Though I am surprised you are here, I never would'd guessed you'd wanna come back." Severus smiled softly, lowering his head. 

"This place is the only true home I've ever known. I owe it to Albus..to you..to those damned kids to come back and teach them. Albus knew that I was meant for more than being a deatheater, so did you. You both have always been there for me. It's time I return the favor." Minerva's eyes welled with tears. 

"Oh, Severus. Welcome home." She hugged him once more before showing him to his sleeping quarters. He hadn't been led to the dungeons, as he had expected, but was led to the third floor of the castle. Minerva finally spoke once they reached a wall on the far corridor. Severus cocked a brow. 

"The Room of Requirement? Really, Minerva?" She laughed softly before a door appeared in front of him. 

"Not exactly. Teachers have rooms with privacy enchantments similar to the Room of Requirement. You'll have the privacy you need when you're not in your office." Severus nodded in appreciation. The dungeon wasn't lacking in privacy, but the Room of Requirement was as private as you can get. Severus thanked Minerva again before he walked through the door and closed it behind him. The setup was simple but it suited Severus nicely. He unpacked the content of his luggage into the bureau and decided to go for a walk. Most of the children where already nestled into their bunks for the evening, but Severus sent the few stragglers to their respective houses. He continued down towards Hagrid's Hut. Even in the broken moonlight you could see the patched roofing along with the remaining debris from Bellatrix's hex. Severus felt a gnawing feeling of regret as he walked past the hut and followed the stoney path back towards the castle. He heard rustling in a near by brush but paid no mind to it as he reached the courtyard. Everything was damp from the recent rain storm and Severus was ready to warm himself from the cold. Before he reached the threshold to the castle he heard another sound. He turned and narrowed his eyes before slowly walking back towards the center of the courtyard. 

"If you are a student running about at this hour, I promise you, I will not be merciful in the removal of house points." The sound came again, but this time a small creature appeared. Severus knelt down, holding out his hand. "Come here, little one. I will not harm you." As the creature grew closer, it was revealed to Severus that it was a cat. Petite in form with striking green eyes, the cat brushed itself against Severus' hand. Severus chuckled softly as he picked up the cat and held it against his chest. "You must be cold, little one. Let's get you inside." Severus swiftly made his way to his chambers, and lit the small fireplace that sat comfortably in the wall. He summoned a few cleansing potions and gave the small cat a warm bath, wrapping it into a warm towel afterwards. The cat nestled itself against Severus, burrowing itself against his neck. He picked up the collar that had been hanging around its neck. "Animagus Test Subject 07347." Severus narrowed his eyes at the cat and placed it onto his bed. "If you're an Animagus, change back to a human then." The cat sat staring blankly at Severus, causing him to grow irritated. "Fine, I'll do it for you." Severus withdrew his wand and pointed it at the cat. "Reparifarge!" The incantation bounced off the cat, landing on a teapot that quickly changed into a gerbil. Severus huffed in annoyance and looked at the collar again. As he read the words over and over, he became frustrated with his lack of understanding and threw the collar into the fireplace turning his back from it. Severus heard a loud popping sound as the collar burned and saw a bright light flash from behind him. He turned to look back at the cat, but noticed it was no longer where he left it. He began to search his room but noticed the figure of a woman laying on the floor. Severus blinked hard, not sure what he was looking at. He stepped forward again, quickly realizing she was naked. He grabbed a sheet to cover her with and gently laid it on top of her. The young woman stirred softly as she began to wake. When her eyes opened, her gaze fell onto Severus. All he could focus on was her stunning green eyes.