Chapter 17: Deep Breath, Lydia

Start from the beginning

Miss Second Chance groaned and disappeared. She reappeared soon after holding a rattle. "Let's put this in perspective a moment." She pushed her glasses up and shook the rattle. "You want to marry Beetlejuice and prove it's real by having a Neitherworld baby with a more 'scientific approach', instead of just explaining your real feelings?"

"I have to save him!" Didn't she get it? "I know him. I know Beej really well, better than he knows himself," she claimed. "He gets in over his head, and he asks for my help. We always get things sorted out. This time, we are both in over our heads. I can't help him, unless he has real love for me but . . ." Oh. "He likes the more . . .voluptous disgusting kind. He even got in over his head for a headhunter." Yeah. "Using his juice to impress her. I'm just still the same." She looked at her hands. "Lighter complexion, but I had a light complexion. I was even tricked into believing I was still alive." Oh man. I'm really starting to cry? She wiped away a tear. She really did care so much. "I can't wrap him into something he doesn't want, but I can't let him go to hell."

She took a few steps back, feeling the full weight of what she just said. I am madly in love with my best friend, aren't I?

"I can see your point," Miss Second Chance said. "Perhaps you are right, but do you think he is really risking hell for his eternity, and he went through Lex Talionis, just to save a mere friend from becoming a dead shadow?"

"You don't know him like I do," Lydia told her. "And yes, he would, and he did." She choked at that last part.

Miss Second Chance just stared at her like she was an absolute idiot. "Your ridiculous, but yes, it's an option. There's no invitro but sadly sometimes there are unwanted children born in the Neitherworld. They stay in a state of eternal youth, unmoving, until someone comes to collect them. You could technically adopt one of those."

Oh, that would be even better!

"Although with someone like him, I don't know if fatherhood or hell would be worse to him."

Lydia didn't acknowledge the joke. All I have to do is slow him down long enough to discuss it. "Just, marriage brings me back up. Should I even try with him, or should I try? Prince Vince belongs to the Neitherworld." He was ready after a second date to make her his princess. They were younger, but maybe? "I wouldn't ruin his life."

"Oh, recently deceased sometimes," Miss Second Chance groaned. "Don't share with him who it will be, let him start putting his own pieces together and see how he reacts. He might prefer to have his 'friend' with him no matter what, instead of her sheltering his future by sacrificing herself to a prince."

"Oh. Yeah." That was true, Lydia didn't even think about it. He loved spending time with her. Would marrying the prince feel like a betrayal against everything he'd already done?

"The most important thing is to tell him as soon as possible there is a possibility of saving you without him killing the last one for Lex Talionis."

—————————————

"There we go, Doomie," BJ put him back where he belonged. "Thanks." Doomie didn't look very well, but he was used to that. Involving others always screwed everyone over. But, it was worth it. Lydia was freed.

Lydia should be freed. But? "Mister Jennings was involved. He was the one who started the whole thing." Four teens couldn't have made it through everything without him.

"Forget Mister Jennings, forget all of them, Beetlejuice!"

He turned and saw Lydia. She had a black rose in her hand. "You're back now." But he should really take out Mister Jennings.