hitting a wall

"How so?" Yelena readjusts on the couch to make room for her, watching intently as Natasha pulls stuff out of her backpack and lays it out on the coffee table.

"Apparently," Natasha sets out some food as well, some easy finger foods for the two of them to snack on until they have to go, "weddings are a lot of work!"

"Apparently," Yelena echoes, leaning forward to see all of the things. There are all sorts of papers with different color palettes, photos of different flowers and flower arrangements, decorations, and place card templates among other things, it doesn't seem to end.

"She picked the colors already," Natasha points to the little color palette on the table, "Pink, gold, and white. I voted for less soft colors, but she insisted that dark colors would be too harsh and then said I'm too pale for us to do a wedding in all black."

Yelena snorts, "She's not wrong. When was the last time you saw the sun?"

"Haha," Natasha mocks, "you're hilarious. Seriously, after this whole cancer thing, you should take up a career as a stand-up comedian."

"Oh, yeah, totally," Yelena bites on the straw of her milkshake, picking up random pieces of paper and reading them over, "What do you two need to get married for, anyway?"

"What do you mean?" Natasha asks, fiddling with the papers and checking random things off on a checklist, "also, please eat something. The shake was supposed to be a treat, not the meal."

"Stop being such a mom, Tasha," Yelena whines, putting back the paper she was reading. Apparently, flowers all have different meanings. Even though they're all just things with stems and petals and pollen.

"Eat," Natasha gives her a package with a cinnamon roll, "you still haven't answered my question."

"About marriage?" Yelena asks, and Natasha nods. Yelena hums, breaking open the cinnamon roll package, "It's very stressful. And I don't think marriage is all that worth it. Are you two even going to change your names? And the history of marriage and why it's a thing... yikes."

Natasha furrows her eyebrows, "I didn't know that you were so against marriage."

"I mean, I'm happy for you," Yelena shrugs, "but this... is a lot."

"Yeah, but," Natasha puts the papers down and grabs a hashbrown, "I don't know. After all of this... you're married. You and the love of your life, forever."

"I don't need the government involved for that to happen," Yelena says, "well, actually, if Kate and I getting married would secure me a green card, which apparently is a trope in a lot of romance stories, I would do it. But I can get into this country whenever I want, so... who cares?"

"Uh-huh," Natasha mumbles around her hashbrown. She finishes her piece before speaking again, "I'm excited to get married."

"Congratulations," Yelena bumps her hip with her good foot, "Very happy for you. Now, I cannot believe you are lecturing me about chocolate milkshakes for breakfast when your other option is a cinnamon roll."

Natasha laughs, "Eat your food."

-

After getting her scans, Yelena finds herself waiting impatiently in the patient room with Natasha.

Kate decided to stay back, saying that she should get the dogs out of the house and she didn't want to overwhelm Yelena. Of course, Yelena thinks Kate's never overwhelming, but she does appreciate not having two sets of eyes freaking out over her.

"I just want the results," Yelena pouts, playing with the velcro on her watch band, "they could at least make this place fun if they have us waiting for sixty years."