𝐕𝐈𝐈. 𝐍𝐏𝐂𝐬 𝐚𝐧𝐝 𝐘𝐞𝐥𝐥𝐨𝐰 𝐒𝐮𝐛𝐦𝐚𝐫𝐢𝐧𝐞𝐬

Start from the beginning

Each jewel briefly had a moment in the spotlight before the rest of the cutscene centered around the pearl and the port to which it had been given. The scene slowly changed to a distant island that was still beautiful, but overshadowed by the bounty of Jumanji.

"The Atlantean people were once our allies, and their island remained just outside the borders of Jumanji; however, they were envious of our bountiful lands and set out to take what didn't belong to them."

The cutscene suddenly took a darker turn as the clear skies muddied and churned with dark clouds. Lightning struck and in the distance a pirate ship raged against the seas, nearing the port at a dangerous speed.

"They raided Port Pelegosto in the Marine Province. They stole the pearl, but experienced the wrath of the storm gods on their return. The island was destroyed and dragged beneath the sea to remain as a warning for the rest of eternity."

The cutscene faded but then jumped back to the bustling port, nowhere near as beautiful as it had once been. What had once been a beautiful seaside getaway was now filled with corruption.

"We believed the pearl was lost forever. That is until now. A pirate by the name of Captain Flinthart discovered a map that led to its whereabouts. The adventurer you all know as Rogue was sent ahead with three allies to recover the pearl and restore Jumanji to its former glory."

The cutscene shifted one final time to show Rogue aboard a different submarine, sprinting down the corridors with Fleetfoot and Callaway close behind. A fourth figure, shadowed as if they hadn't been unlocked yet, also followed and boarded the escape pod which quickly fled out into the open seas—leaving behind the blaring alarms of the pirate vessel.

"We're running out of time as this fine land rots with decay. Only once all three jewels have been returned to their rightful place will the corruption vanish. Which is why you and your brilliant associates have been called on once more. For if Flinthart were to succeed and take the jewel for himself, Jumanji would fall to the same fate as Atlantis herself for abusing the powers that the gods bestowed."

The entire group stared at Nigel. They should have been used to the danger and ridiculous adventures that they were thrust toward, yet they remained in their shocked stupor.

"So Rogue has the pearl?" Matt asked, almost as if he wasn't convinced that it could be that simple. "And all we need to do is return it to the sea?"

"Correct, Dr. Oberon," Nigel eagerly nodded his head. "Rogue and her allies sent word that they'd meet us with the pearl at Port Pelegosto."

"What?" Fridge scoffed. "No rhyme this time—"

"Remember, our goal is to restore the pearl," Nigel interrupted, "Touch the sea before sails unfurl. And if you wish to leave the game, you must save Jumanji and call out its name."

"So like, does that mean Rogue is back in the game name?" Bethany asked. "Because she was totally out in the real world before."

"Rogue and her allies sent word that they'd meet us with the pearl at Port Pelegosto," Nigel repeated himself, offering a map out to Bethany. A reminiscent smile softened the man's features. "You'll need this to guide us on our journey, Professor Oberon. I still remember the day you and your sister first came to my aid when Jumanji's danger first appeared. Now look at us. How far we've come..."

Matt frowned. "That didn't sound like prewritten dialogue."

"My whatever do you mean, Liz?" Nigel asked, turning to glance over his shoulder at Matt with a fond smile. "You above anyone else should know that fate isn't prewritten."

"What's going on?" Martha questioned, glancing at the others for answers.

"The game's adapting," Spencer noted, a haunted note in his tone of voice. "It sent Rogue out into the real world and now it's learning inside too."

"So what does that mean?" Alex asked. "That soon the game will be real life too? No more extra lives or redos?"

Spencer shook his head. "I don't know."

"Let's just find this pearl and get the hell out of here," Fridge interjected. "Bethany, how far are we from the port?"

Bethany lifted the map to read it and opened her mouth to answer; however, the blaring alarms and bright red lights overshadowed her answer.

"Now what?" Martha frowned as she rushed up to the helm.

"We're gonna die," Matt stated matter-of-factly. "We're gonna die ten thousand leagues under the sea."

"What?" Principal Bentley's features twisted with abject horror.

"He's just being dramatic," Fridge insisted. "He does this every time. If anything it guarantees we'll make it out of this in mostly one piece."

The entire submarine rocked and groaned as something collided with the hull of the ship. Matt frowned and shot Fridge a look. "You were saying."

The submarine shook again, only this time the hull splintered and cracked above their heads. Water trickled from the hole, forming a puddle on the ground which was likely to become a much larger problem the longer they waited to face it.