"Artie doesn't care," said Mercedes. "His dad drives him everywhere."

"I do care," said Artie. "It kinda hurt my feelings."

"We didn't think you would take it personally," said Rachel.

"Well, you're irritating most of the time, but don't take that personally," Artie countered.

"No, Rachel should take it very personally," Julian said, getting a chuckle out of Adalynn.

"I don't know if you guys understand how much harder Artie has to work just to keep up," said Mr. Schue.

"Preach."

"We're riding to sectionals together or we're not going at all. And to pay for the bus, we're having a bake sale," Mr. Schue said as some kids walked in pushing empty wheelchairs. "St. Ignatius Nursing Home was having a tag sale. And my AV Club friends here agreed to help out. For the next week, each of you is going to spend three hours a day in a wheelchair. And we're doing a wheelchair number."

****

Adalynn and Kurt sat next to each other in their wheelchairs, discussing the upcoming competition in a few weeks.

"Okay, guys," said Mr. Schue as he came into the room. "Sorry I'm late. I was just in the office with Mr. Hummel. I've decided that I can't preach about how important it is to help Artie and then reject Kurt and Adalynn's request to audition for the solo. Now, all of you are going to judge. And in the spirit of full access, each of you is going to get a vote. Whatever singer has the most votes gets the part."

"This isn't going to be about talent, Mr. Schuester," said Rachel. "It's going to be a popularity contest."

"Every time you open your mouth I think you're going to say something intelligent and not about you, but you prove me wrong every time," said Adalynn.

"Stop right there," said Kurt. "Mr. Schue, if I may?" He wheeled to the front of the room. "We all know that Adalynn and I are more popular than Rachel. And we dress better than her. But I want you all to promise me that you're going to vote for whoever sings the song better. Raise your right hand."

Everyone raised their right hands, except for Brittany who raised her left.

"You're right hand, Brittany."

"Sorry," the blonde said, switching arms.

"Repeat after me," said Kurt. "I promise to vote for whoever sings the song better."

"I promise to vote for whoever sings the song better," everyone said.

"I promise to vote for you," Quinn whispered to Adalynn, who smiled softly at her.

****

Deciding that she had nothing better to do, Adalynn decided to help the populars – Finn, Puck, Quinn, and Santana – out with the bake sale. The younger girl sat next to the Latina with a pack of frosted animal crackers she got from Bailey.

"These cupcakes suck," Finn said, throwing one down onto the plate. "That's why we're not selling any."

Adalynn picked up one of the cupcakes and took a small bite, covering her upper lip in frosting.

"They're not that bad," the brunette said through a bite of the cake.

"Didn't anyone ever tell you not to talk with your mouth full?" Santana scoffed. She sighed and picked a napkin up off the table, holding the younger girl's head in her hands as she wiped the frosting from her mouth. "You look like a messy toddler."

"And you look like a stupid babysitter," Adalynn countered, shoving the Latina's hand off of her. "Touch me again and I'll call the cops and accuse you of child abuse."

"Oh my god," Quinn said as she spotted Bailey walking up with Becky Jackson. "What is she doing?"

"Bailey and Backy are friends," Adalynn mumbled as she licked the frosting off of her cupcake. "She's always cheating off of her papers in math class."

"See so many?" Bailey asked as she walked up to the table with Becky. "And look how pretty they are, Becky."

"Wow!" the shorter blonde exclaimed.

"Bailey, you're supposed to be in your wheelchair," said Santana.

"I lost it," the younger girl said. "I'm pretty sure Lord Tubbington stole it so he could drive his gang friends around town. That's what Brittany said, anyway."

"Are you a cheerleader?" Becky asked Santana. "It's so cool."

"So is buying a cupcake," said Bailey. "That's really cool."

"But I don't have any money."

"That's okay. I have some."

The taller blonde reached into her pocket and handed Becky a dollar. She handed it to Santana, who passed it down the line to Quinn. Adalynn placed a cupcake on one of the napkins and handed it to Becky.

"Thanks," Becky smiled and walked away.

"So, how much do we have now?" Bailey asked.

"Well, with this one dollar, we have one dollar," said Finn.

"This is ridiculous," said Quinn.

"Maybe if we put a jellybean on top, we'd sell more."

"Are you an idiot?" the blonde spat. "How am I supposed to trust you to take care of our baby when you can't even figure out how to sell a damn cupcake?"

"Stop attacking me," said Finn. "I'm sick of it."

"Get a job."

"I'm trying!" the quarterback yelled, standing up and kicking his wheelchair before storming away.

****

trigger warning: homophobic slur

After the diva off – which Adalynn thought she did pretty good at – she headed down the hall, confused as to why Kurt threw it. He could hit those high notes. What was going on?

"Kurt, we need to talk," the younger girl said as she approached her brother at his locker. "Why did you do that? You can hit that note in your sleep."

"Look," Kurt sighed, closing his locker. "I didn't want to tell you because I didn't want to worry you at all, but Dad got a call from one of the neanderthals at this school saying that I was a fag."

"What?!" Adalynn yelled. "Who was it?! I'm gonna kill them!"

"Adalynn, calm down," the older boy said. "It's not a big deal. I'm used to it."

"But you shouldn't have to be. This shouldn't be what's considered normal for you."

"But it is. This is Ohio, Ada. There's no avoiding it." His expression softened. "Is that why you're so scared to come out? Because of the bullies?"

"Yeah," Adalynn mumbled, lowering her gaze.

"Come here," Kurt cooed, pulling his sister into a hug. "You have nothing to be afraid of. Yes, it's scary, but I'm not gonna let any of these guys mess with you. Remember, no one pushes the Hummel's around."

"No one pushes the Hummel's around," the younger girl repeated, hugging her brother tighter. "I love you, Kurt."

"I love you too, little me."

****