shower duet pt1

word count: 1915

a/n: tom is not famous in this. you're both college-age.

your pov

You're sitting on the couch in your apartment, watching the credits roll for Tangled, your all-time childhood favorite; just what you needed after your long day consisting of work and your strenuous online classes. You turn off the TV and yawn. It's getting late, but you still need to take a shower before work tomorrow, and you know if you shower in the morning your hair will definitely NOT cooperate.

You grab your towel and hang it on the hook, turning on the water. After undressing, you stand outside the shower as you wait for the water to heat up. It usually takes a minute if anyone else on your floor is showering, and usually someone is.

You reach your hand under the flow of water, and it was sufficiently warm, so you step into the stream, wetting your hair and applying some shampoo. You massage it into your roots, the hibiscus scent filling your nose. "I See the Light" from the movie is stuck in your head, and you begin to softly sing the words. Your voice isn't perfect, but you can carry a tune.

All those days watching from the windows
All those years outside looking in
All that time never even knowing
Just how blind I've been

You laugh at yourself as you stumble over the words a little. The mini shower-concert continues as you squeeze the bottle of conditioner.

Now I'm here blinking in the starlight
Now I'm here suddenly I see
Standing here it's all so clear
I'm where I'm meant to be

You start washing your body, still giggling to yourself at your not-quite-perfect voice. It's been a few years since you've been in choir.

And at last I see the light
And it's like the fog has lifted
And at last I see the light
And it's like the sky is new
And it's warm and real and bright
And the world has somehow shifted

You pause for breath.

All at once everything looks different
Now that I see you

You start washing your face, prohibiting yourself from singing any more. This is probably a good thing. You really aren't that great of a singer.

Suddenly, a slightly-muffled-but-still-beautiful male voice continues your song. 

All those days chasing down a daydream
All those years living in a blur
All that time never truly seeing
Things, the way they were

You gasp and look around in shock, trying to figure out where the voice is coming from. After cautiously checking outside the shower curtain to make sure there isn't some angel-voiced bathroom demon singing with you, you realize that the voice is coming from the other side of the wall.

Now she's here shining in the starlight
Now she's here suddenly I know
If she's here it's crystal clear
I'm where I'm meant to go

His voice really is gorgeous. He hits all the notes perfectly and his tone is amazing. It's making you a little self conscious, but you decide to join him in the chorus anyway, like Rapunzel does in the movie.

And at last I see the light, you sing together.

And it's like the fog has lifted, he continues.

And at last I see the light, you both chorus,

And it's like the sky is new, you sing, praising God for the line being somewhat smooth.