The end of the Dunedain

Start from the beginning

--

I drag the last body on the pier I made. I do not know how long I have been here since the dark is hiding the status of the sun. I don't care. I cover the child with it's cloak and put it in it's mother's arms. I grab the torches i lighted up.

"Losto vae." (Sleep well.) I muster before I throw the torches on the Dead. The fire catches and spreads. I sink to my knees and cry until I have no tears left. I remember things they have told me.

"We love you, Narw. You are one of ours. You are part of the Dunedain, you are my daughter and my son's and daughter's sister. You are one of us, understood?" (Mother.)

"You should pick a husband here. No where else will you find a heart more loyal than here." (Fellow Ranger.)

"Get used to company." (Aragorn.)

"Eat the food and keep your compliments, Narwyn. I am the cook of the Dunedain, there is no need to thank me for my work." (Neighboor.)

"Do you think he likes me? He looks so good and he's so kind and he's...everything. I'm just...me." (Nhatver)

"You are a thief. Stole my sword, my cape, my knife, my boot, my brush and my horse. You'd think that would be enough. No, you had to steal a piece of my heart and had the audacity to replace yourself with it. " (Nashtor.)

"Each flower has a specific meaning. This is a Lily, it symbolises purity. My favourite one is the tulip. They mean royalty, but there is one with purple shade that also means perfection. That is my favourite of all." (Neighboor's child.)

I get up long after the fire died down. I track down Lathron. He is eating peacefully. I somehow manage to get on him without falling, still thinking of all the faces I just saw. Until it hits me. There is 1 face I didn't see. There is one handsome face I didn't see when I checked for any survivors.

"Aragorn." I follow a trail of footprints. Five Ranger footprints. Aragorn is the one at the front, always is. I follow the footprints until they keep getting messier. I jeep following until it looks the trail stops by a river. A river heading South. Judging by the fire, this has happened no longer than 3 days ago. Aragorn doesn't leave his people behind. He would fight until he drops. So he must be around.

"Or he somehow escaped unwillingly." I finally get to the river part and get off Lathron. By the look on those Orcs faces and wounds, Aragorn was here and fought them. I crouch down. Black blood of Orcs and... red blood of Aragorn. Except Aragorn isn't here.

"Where did you go, you idiot?" I mumble and call my stead.

"Let's find that Chief of ours." I whisper and follow the current of the river.

--

I enter the tavern silently. I eye the entire tavern quickly.

"One room, please." I pay the barman and he hands me a key. It's been months since I have been tracking Aragorn. I pass 3 men who seem very drunk.

"Oy! I bet you that I could take down your Strider fellow, of yours!" I stop. Did I finally catch up with him?

"He's one of' em Northern fellas. Notin' to take pride off. Heard they a' dead!" Many cheer. I clench my fists and silently climb the stairs. I walk until I hear a sound. A silent, heartbreaking sound.

"It's my fault." I freeze at that voice. Could it be? I almost run to that door and grab the handle. Locked.

"Wrong room."

"I disagree." I hear shuffling. Then the door swings open and I enter and lock the door. Then my back collides with the wall. I look in my Chief's eyes and almost whimper at the pain in there.