Chapter III . Family Distance

Start from the beginning

Dany lets the delicate silk run through her fingers. It is a gorgeous gown but the sight of it gives her no pleasure

"Tonight you must look like a princess"

Daenerys hands the gown back to her brother "He gives us so much... we've been his guests for a year and he's never asked for anything"

"Illyrio's no fool. He knows I won't forget my friends when I come into my throne" Viserys hangs the gown from a hook beside the door "I'll send the slaves in to bathe you. Be sure you wash off that stable stink" Viserys studies her critically "You still slouch" Viserys pushes back her shoulders "Let them see you have a woman's body now" Viserys fingers brush lightly over her breasts, judging their shape beneath the rough fabric of her tunic "Don't fail me tonight. You don't want to wake the dragon, do you?" Viserys fingers tighten over one of her nipples, pinching. He's hurting her "Do you?"

But Daenerys does not resist or open her mouth "No"

Viserys says "Good" He smiles, releasing her, brushing back her hair with something like affection "When they write the history of my reign, they will say it began tonight"

Daenerys smiles "Does our brother know that?

"Not yet, I sent a raven but I'm sure he will be glad of my plan"

》》》》《《《《

It's nighttime, Outside the streets of Pentos, A dozen strong men carry a palanquin through the pitch-black streets of Pentos. two servants walk in front, holding oil lanterns to light the way. In Palanquin, Inside the curtained litter, Daenerys, Viserys and Magister Illyrio recline on soft pillows. Daenerys wears the lilac gown. Her makeup has been artfully applied but somehow she looks even younger than before. She seems terribly nervous.

Illyrio (50) is tremendously fat, but he carries himself with a certain elegance. Illyrio smiles at Daenerys, takes the girl's hand, and gives her a comforting squeeze. He to Viserys says "She is a vision, your Grace. Drogo will be impressed"

Viserys says "She's too skinny. Are you sure he likes his women this young?"

"She's had her blood, she's old enough. Look at her! Highest of the highborn, daughter of the past king, sister to the future king... he'll want her"

"I suppose. The savages have queer tastes. Boys, horses, sheep..."

"Best not suggest this to Khal Drogo"

"Do you take me for a fool?"

Magister Illyrio gives a slight bow and says "I take you for a king. Kings lack the caution of common men. My apologies if I have given offense" He claps his hands and a slave boy wearing a brass collar, crouched in the corner of the litter, hurries over to refill Illyrio's wine glass.

"I know how to play a man like Drogo. I give him status__" nodding at Dany "__and he gives me an army" His fingers toy with the hilt of his sheathed sword "I could sweep the Seven Kingdoms with ten thousand Dothraki screamers behind me. The people will be with us. They cry out for their true king" Viserys pauses and gives Illyrio an anxious look "They do, don't they?"

Illyrio as an amiable salesman "All across the Kingdoms, men lift secret toasts to your health. Their women sew dragon banners in hope of your return from across the water" shrugs "Or so my agents tell me"

Daenerys, who has watched Illyrio throughout his speech, turns away. She keeps her own counsel, but it's clear the words that so inspire Viserys do not impress her.

Outside, the Dothraki encampment, A great field outside the city walls of Pentos, ringed by hundreds of the distinctive, round Dothraki tents. The moon and burning torches light the milling guests. Many are Dothraki horse lords, big men, their black hair oiled and braided and hung with silver bells. No women are present.