chapter 33 : you should be angry

Start from the beginning

"Won't you miss her?"

"Of course, she's family, we haven't spent a day apart since we were children."

"Then maybe you should go."

At this, Amelia felt steam come out of her ears but didn't snark back. He stared back plainly, but she knew him enough to see he was holding his tongue as well.

She walked around the room casually, not meeting his gaze, "okay, if that's what you think."

He didn't reply. Instead, he walked over to the bar and started pouring himself a drink.

the audacity

Amelia sighed once more, "so you don't want me to stay."

"I didn't say that."

"So you think I shouldn't go then?"

He took a sip of his drink, "I didn't say that either."

Amelia couldn't do this anymore."WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU?" she shouted as she stood up, glaring him down.

Anthony stared back, still not having shown an emotion greater than mere annoyance. "Me? What have I done?"

She marched towards him as if she held the passion of a thousand fires in her hands. "I'm asking you for your honest opinion. I want you to tell me what you actually want me to do."

"No, you want me to tell you to stay."

Amelia threw her hands up in the air, "Yes, fine! That is what I want!"

He took another sip of his drink, "then ask," he muttered in a low voice.

She softened her gaze and looked up at him, "fine," she whispered under her breath. "Tell me to stay."

He stared back and she could see his face emoting for the first time tonight. He looked relieved, then sad, then confused, and finally ashamed. He looked down, "I can't."

"Fine, then I'm leaving."

"Okay," he spoke, in the same unbothered tone.

Amelia couldn't believe it, "Oh my god! What is wrong with you honestly? Why aren't you angry? I said my part. Why can't you admit how you truly feel?"

He met her gaze and she could tell he was upset."I can't ask you to stay."

"Why not?"

"Because I have no idea how this will end!"

"So? Don't you want to at least try?"

He groaned, "look if you want to stay, go ahead by all means. But I can't be the one to ask you to."

"Why not? Why can't you show me at least once, how much you actually care about me?"

He slammed his glass down on the table,"I do care about you!"

"Then ask me to stay for god's sake!"

"Why? Why is that so important to you?"

"Because if I stay here, it's because and only because of you. Rosalie is my entire family, she's all I have, so if I leave her, it needs to be with someone who's not afraid to show how he feels about me."

Anthony sighed and slumped into the couch, not before pouring himself another drink. "That's not fair Amelia. You can't put that type of pressure on me. I already have enough going on," he gestured to the paperwork around him. "I don't have time to figure this out as well."

Usually, at this point, Amelia would have left. She would have apologized for having pressured him and walked away. She was used to feeling like a burden, always caving to other's people needs instead of her own. But not this time.

"Anthony, are you ever going to settle down? You spend your whole life trying to be the viscount bridgerton. The head of one of the most renowned households. But you neglect the one duty that everyone expects of you. Answer me, are you ever going to marry? Even if it's not with me, are you ever going to settle down?"

He gripped his glass tightly, clearly trying to suppress his anger. He shook his head, "you have no idea what you're talking about. You have no clue what I go through-"

"No, you're just making excuses. You're a coward is what you are. Afraid to show everyone that inside the viscount is a scared little boy, trying to live up to his father's image. Are you always going to be a rake?"

"Why not?", he smiled, taking another sip. "Isn't that how I met you? Isn't that the reason we're in this situation in the first place?" His words began to slur, "you should feel lucky that you're here in the first place."

"What's that supposed to mean?"

"Do you honestly think someone like me would be with you if it wasn't for the sake of a ruse? We would have never met if I didn't need someone to disprove Whistledown."

"You're disgusting," Amelia spoke, her voice breaking. "I'm leaving."

"Good," he murmured as he downed another drink. "Cause I'm only a rake right?"

Amelia slammed the door and ran inside the carriage. As it drove off, she tearfully glanced back at the apartment she once loved.

Worst memory indeed.

~~~~~~~

A/N

vote & comment :)

have a lovely day cuties

violet

09/10/22