The Rhodes Not Taken

Start from the beginning

"Show me your bra," said Jacob.

Rachel and Adalynn exchanged a look.

"No way, pervert," the younger girl scoffed.

"If you want a good review, show me your over the shoulder boulder holder," said Jacob.

"No way," Rachel said sternly. "You can't do that. My performance, and Adalynn's, will stand on their own. Besides, no one reads the school paper."

"But I'll post my scathing review online. You both will be finished on the high school stage. Now get those sweater puppies out of their cashmere cage."

Rachel stood up, grabbing Adalynn's arm and pulling her away from the gossip blogger and protectively holding her close to her.

"Sorry I'm late," said Mr. Ryerson as he came into the room. "My Vespa had a flat. Give me a minute and I will be ready for my interview."

"We're actually not gonna need any quotes from you for the article, Mr. Ryerson," said Jacob as he quickly packed up his things and put his bag over his shoulder. "Do the right thing," he said to the two brunettes. "All the great actresses take their clothes off."

"No freaking way, Jacob," Rachel spat, tightening her protective hold on the younger girl as he and Mr. Ryerson left the room.

"I'm gonna kill him," said Adalynn as she tried to break free from Rachel's grasp.

"No murder, Adalynn," said the older girl as she let her go, placing her hands on her shoulders. "We're gonna do this the right way. No nudity. No nothing. Just our voices and our talent, which you have tons of."

"You... you think I'm talented?" the younger brunette asked.

"Yeah, you're amazing," Rachel smiled. "I'll make sure you have your chance to shine. I know a star in the making when I see one. I'm gonna hug you now."

Adalynn smiled as she accepted Rachel's embrace. As much as she hated to admit it, the diva was actually a pretty good friend.

****

"Guys, I'd like to introduce you to someone very special," Mr. Schue began the next day in Glee Club. "This is April Rhodes. She's our newest member."

"Wait, so old people can join Glee Club now?" asked Finn.

"Old, huh?" asked April. "You guys look like the world's worst Benetton ad."

"Mr. Schuester, this seems like a terrible idea," said Artie.

"April is a great singer," the teacher defended. "And she never graduated."

"What does that have to do with anything?" asked Bailey.

"We appreciate what you're trying to do, but she's no Rachel," said Mercedes.

"Who's Rachel?" asked April.

"Sh-she's kinda our star," said Tina.

"Your star, eh? Well, where is she?"

"She left," Kurt sighed. "To be the lead in Cabaret."

"Hey, Tinkles," April said, turning to Brad, the piano player. "Give me Maybe This Time in B-flat. And don't let me catch you snoozing."

The song ended and the Hummel siblings exchanged a look. Adalynn handed Kurt a tissue, as April's performance had caused him to tear up.

"Stick that in your pipe and smoke it," April smirked.