Confessing to a Lunatic (fluff)

Start from the beginning

"And should she or he be a pureblood?" James asked.

"No," Sirius said quickly, "Merlin, no. We can't Indulge My mother. In fact, mother should hate her - Reggie loves a forbidden romance."

"I believe that," Remus said, smirking at James like the devil.

"And what if he finds someone he loves, and you don't approve of them?" James asked, digging deeper.

"I will drive them out, of course. Only the best for my baby brother."

"But what if he really loves them?"

"He can't love anyone more than the perfect girl. And I just described the perfect girl for him."

***

James had the map and his cloak with him when he entered the library. It was quite late already, and Madam Pince would send the last students away soon enough.

Regulus Black sat at the last table in the long room.

He looked up when James was approaching, closed the books in front of him and disappeared between the shelves.

James found him quickly he sorted the books in by hand.

James smiled and put his arms around his middle from behind.

"Hello, lover," James whispered and kissed the back of his neck.

"Hello, you maniac, someone will see us," He whispered but turned his face so James could kiss his cheek.

"Don't be dramatic, anyone who is still here at this hour is just a coffee fuelled zombie. Or star-crossed lovers, waiting for their betrothed."

"I shouldn't let you read my books," Regulus decided, knowing he would always lend him his books. When he annotated them, he did it with the thought of James reading them.

"Do you have the cloak?"

"Of course. And the map so Sirius won't see us together."

"Remus kept quiet, yes?"

"Yes, no one wants to deal with the fallout of Sirius finding out."

James draped the cloak over himself and followed Regulus out of the library.

Remus had spotted James in Regulus dorms on the map too often to be able to ignore it. He had taken James aside and told him, he knew, and he would keep quiet, but fuck, what an asshole James was. He had made James swear, that he would deal with Sirius once this came out and that Remus wouldn't have a hand in any of it.

Regulus snuck James into his dorm room.

"Hey," He greeted his dorm mates. They echoed the sentiment.

James was never quite sure how to act when he secretly got into the dorm with Reg and saw himself confronted by his friends. He usually waited for Regulus to tell him to show himself- always depending on whether he wanted his mates to know he was here or not.

They had given up hiding from the two of them about 6 weeks in. If neither of their dorms were free, they had to revert to broom cupboards and the dressing rooms at the quidditch pitch. And while the threat of being caught was an undeniable thrill, it was also very stressful.

Barty and Evan had eventually caught them, and James still couldn't help but think, that Regulus had arranged this on purpose.

James was watching Regulus taking off his shoes and robe and loosening his tie. His eyes were focused on Regulus' hands.

He had very pale and elegant hands. James was a little obsessed with them, with how soft they were, with how perfectly manicured his fingernails looked, with how he could count the veins on his wrist. He loved how they looked against his brown skin, in his black hair. He loved seeing them gently running down James' body and playfully picking on James' messy hair and his clothes. He loved it when Regulus was fastening his tie for him, he always touched the skin on his neck a little bit, just ghosting over it with his fingers. His hands could of course also be firm and strong and dexterous. He was a Seeker, after all, trained to catch tiny, swift things and trained to steadily hold on to a broom. But James liked it best when Regulus' hands held on to him.