"That hardly seems a subject for boasting," Tessa muttered. They reached the end of the corridor and took a left, into another long corridor that was darker than most. "Where are we going? Have we turned the wrong way?"

"Patience is a virtue, Miss Gray," Will drawled. They were going down the corridor now, the floor slanted slightly as they descended.

"A virtue with which only Jem seems to possess," Evangeline put in. Will nudged her arm again, grumbling, and in the dark, Jem gave a soft laugh.

"This corridor leads to our Sanctuary," Charlotte explained from ahead, once it was clear that the three Shadowhunters clinging to Tessa currently had no plans to do so. In truth, it hadn't really occurred to Evangeline to explain where they were going. The Institute was so large, and it was ridiculous to assume Tessa knew her way around. Evangeline had learned the routes through trial and error, and she had figured Tessa would do the same. "It is the only part of the Institute that is not on hallowed ground. It is where we meet those who, for whatever reason, cannot enter hallowed ground: those who are cursed, vampires, and the like. It is also often a place we choose to shelter Downworlders who are in danger from demons or other denizens of the Shadow World. For that reason, there are many protections placed on the doors, and it is difficult to enter or exit the room without possessing either a stele or the key."

"Very well put, Charlotte," Evangeline complimented, even as beside her, Tessa cocked her head. Evangeline had learned what that meant very quickly. Tessa's curiosity was peaked, and she had questions. She wondered what she would ask. "I couldn't have explained it as well as you. You are so very good with words."

"Do cease flattering me, Evangeline," Charlotte sighed, though she sounded fond. "I am allowing you to meet your beloved Camille, am I not?"

"Beloved," Evangeline said, amused. "Oh, the scandal that word would cause, Charlotte. Have you learned nothing? It will be everywhere tomorrow. Ruined Evangeline Rosewell, seduced by her beloved female vampire. Oh, the shame!" Charlotte sighed long and loud, while Evangeline sighed wistfully, and though Charlotte couldn't see her dramatics, she made a show of swooning into Will, releasing Tessa's arm so she could place the back of her hand against her forehead. Will caught her easily, and Evangeline peered up at him through her lashes, her hand still on her forehead. Her swooning had made them both stop. Tessa shook with laughter as she continued onward, and Jem shot a look at them over his shoulder, an amused grin on his face. Will just stared down at her, his arms around her torso, keeping her from falling. They looked as if he had dipped her during a dance. Evangeline giggled and pressed her hand to his bicep, gripping it as she slowly righted herself.

"Careful, Flora," Will murmured to her as the others continued forward. Will helped Evangeline straighten, but his hands stayed on her waist for a moment, hovering there like he was afraid she'd fall again. His blue eyes were vibrant, even in the dark corridor. The witchlight was muffled between his hand and her dress. Evangeline tilted her head at him, curious, and he grinned at her, bright and wide. "Swoon too much and you shall fall right through the floor." Evangeline grinned back at him, then playfully pinched his bicep.

"Me, fall? Why, I would never. I have you to catch me, don't I?" Evangeline teased, reaching up to flick his nose. Will grinned wider and released her waist, and then they were both hurrying to catch up to Tessa, Jem, and Charlotte. Evangeline once again found herself linking her arm with Tessa.

"Is it a curse?" Tessa asked eventually. "Being a vampire?" Ahead, Charlotte shook her head.

"No," she replied. "We think it is a sort of demon disease. Most diseases that affect demons are not transmissible—" Evangeline widened her eyes, then shot Will a desperate look, begging him silently not to mention what she knew he would mention as Charlotte continued. "—to human beings, but in some cases, usually through a bite or scratch, the disease can be passed on. Vampirism. Lycanthropy—"