The small child cheered, her long hair swaying as she bounced. "Song! Song!" she insisted to nobody in particular.

Almost as if on cue, Present Mic began to introduce the first song of the day, to which Kawa hummed in tune enthusiastically.

This was supposed to be the end of it. Kawa was supposed to keep this specific memory tucked away as a happy one, and live out her days without any worries.

However, that would not be the case.

An odd buzzing sensation was felt in her own throat. Was that normal? Probably not. Naively ignoring the feeling, Kawa continued to hum along. When she looked to her mother, her humming suddenly ceased.

Slack-jawed and wide-eyed, Kawa's mother sat blankly on the couch, almost zero hint of any reaction from the older female. "Mommy..?"

When her mother didn't answer, the young girl began to cry. "Mommy!"

"What did you do, you brat!" Kawa flinched, backing away in fear when her father stomped over. He rested a hand on his wife's shoulder, violently shaking her. After a few seconds of confused muttering and low curses, Kawa's mother finally came back to her senses.

"What.. happened?" she questioned.

"I'm sorry..!" The small girl blubbered, pushing herself into the corner of the couch. "I.. didn't mean to.."

"Was that her quirk?" Her father questioned, expression hardening when the woman nodded slowly. "We have to see the doctor. And stop that crying!"

Kawa forced her lips together at her father's demand, watching in muted curiosity when her mother picked her up and stared at her.

"What a powerful quirk.." she murmured. "Don't worry hun, it'll be alright."

Then she smiled. Smiling is supposed to express happiness, but the only thing young Kawa could see was greed and toxicity. It made her shiver.

"Let's get started, my lovely siren."

★★★

The memory made her sigh out loud, refocusing back on her schoolwork. That was when it all changed for her, so she was able to recall it well.

Before she could get lost in her thoughts once more, a loud crash sounded from downstairs. Kawa didn't flinch in the slightest; in fact, the sound of fighting was common among her parents.

It wasn't noticeable until the noise suddenly vanished.

Curiously and cautiously, Kawa closed her laptop and stood from her chair. She wasn't in any specific rush to check, so she observed her plain room for a few moments.

Something told her she wouldn't be coming back anytime soon.

Kawa's bedroom looked as if someone just moved in, though in reality, someone had been living there for years. There wasn't anything on the ugly beige walls, apart from a security camera that Kawa can remember her parents installing when she misbehaved. The only other things in the room were a twin-sized bed, the desk in which Kawa was just working, and a blocked off closet with thick chains. As she glimpsed over the closet, unwanted memories of being thrown into the small space for days, weeks, months; suddenly appeared.

Resisting the urge to shiver, Kawa turned on her heel and walked out of the door. As she crept down the stairs and into the living room, her nerves shot through the roof. Kawa could hear heavy breathing as she peeked around the corner.

Her mother was slumped over something, her back facing away from Kawa as she stared at the mystery object below her.

Kawa tip-toed a bit closer, trying to see what she was staring at so intensely. The sudden chill of fear that struck her made her gasp aloud.

There were broken vase pieces scattered across the ground, along with one unmoving object in the center.

Her father.

Kawa watched in muted horror as her mother turned around at the sound of her gasp, a smile appearing on her bloodied face. She didn't realize it before, but the broken end of the vase rested in her mother's hands.

"Siren dear! Look at what I've done..!" Her mother slowly approached her, almost as if she were approaching a wild animal. As she got closer, Kawa's legs began to wobble and shake in fear. When her mother was right in front of her, she collapsed to her knees.

"We don't have to worry about him anymore," her mother gestured to the dead body on the ground, an insane smile forming on her lips. "It's just me and you now, siren dear.. Forever, and ever.."

She began to mumble aimlessly to herself, repeating the same words as she kneeled down and caressed her daughter's cheek, smearing blood everywhere.

If Kawa were any younger or less mature then she was now, she would've followed her mother without question; like a lost little sheep that needed herding.

It was almost hilarious that she was so upset. It wasn't like she had actually cared for her father in the slightest. But that didn't mean she was going to obey her mother any longer.

Inhaling a shaky breath, Kawa activated her quirk and started to hum. Her mother barely had time to react before she froze rigid, unable to do anything but blink and breathe.

Before she did, one word was muttered from her mouth. "..Traitor!"

Ignoring the frozen woman's final words, Kawa stood up and slowly made her way to the home phone. As she picked it up, she glanced at her mother once more before turning back.

It was then that she dialed the police.

๑๑๑
★・・・・・・★
๑๑๑

[ Word Count: 1240 ]

╚══ஓ๑♡๑ஓ══╝